Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

guthrie

Learning from scratch
« on: 28/07/2011 at 19:19 »
Hi guys

After getting back into fishing after a fair few years away from it i'm finding my self thriving to learn as much as possible about everything. One thing in particular is learning  how to tie my own flies.

I havent a clue where to start and when looking at some of the guides to tying flies i just get baffled. I was just wondering if any of you knew of any good books or dvds i could get to help me get started and whats the best thing to do as regards to equipment.

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks  :z16

Iain Goolager

Re: Learning from scratch
« Reply #1 on: 28/07/2011 at 19:59 »
Hi Guthrie

Look up Davie McPhails' videos on 'youtube' IMHO they are as good as you'll get and the range of flies tied is extensive.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2011 at 20:09 »
Hi guys

After getting back into fishing after a fair few years away from it i'm finding my self thriving to learn as much as possible about everything. One thing in particular is learning  how to tie my own flies.

I havent a clue where to start and when looking at some of the guides to tying flies i just get baffled. I was just wondering if any of you knew of any good books or dvds i could get to help me get started and whats the best thing to do as regards to equipment.

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks  :z16

As Iain says youtube is the best place to start but i would also recomend getting help from either a club or a friend / forumite and watching them closely as they demonstrate a few flies and tecniques face to face which for me was the easiest way to learn.

:z18
Baz

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 28/07/2011 at 22:22 »
I will give you a few hours when you come down fishing  :z16

guthrie

« Reply #4 on: 28/07/2011 at 22:24 »
Cheers guys and jonny boy im thinking end of Aug. that any use to you ?

jpm75

« Reply #5 on: 29/07/2011 at 11:39 »
I can suggest a good book, only from my own experience as it was the first book on fly tying that I purchased. Its the fly tying bible by Peter Gathercole, and it has all degrees of difficulty. I don't know about anyone else, but I would highly recommend it.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 02/08/2011 at 19:55 »
Bill Davies book fly tying and tackle making, you might get a second hand copy , or tying flies for trout by eric taverner, they started me off many years back easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com