Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Rod Wrapping Jig
« on: 27/07/2011 at 23:07 »
I know that some guys advocate the hand wrap or the cardboard box 'wrapper' but I saw a jig on some forum or other a while back and was so impressed I decided to give it a go.

I've always fancied getting a router so now that I had justification I set to work getting all the gear I'd need - well 5 days later, severely overbudget I wondered if this rod building thing was a bad idea.

Anyhow I'm just about there so hopefully will get the rod started smartish.

Iain

Iain

Matt Henderson

Re: Rod Wrapping Jig
« Reply #1 on: 27/07/2011 at 23:14 »
Looks good mate. Did you make the table too?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 27/07/2011 at 23:41 »
 :z7

Irvine Ross

« Reply #3 on: 28/07/2011 at 08:21 »
Ian

Looks good. My factory built one also has a separate, stand alone, rest which I found I needed to keep the far end of the blank steady when I was putting on the whippings near the other end. The other clever bit is a length of velcro tape with two sections of the hooky bit of velcro glued onto one of the legs. You hook the tape onto the velcro on one side of the leg, over the blank where it rests in the notch and down onto the other bit of velcro. That means the blank stays exactly where you left it when you stop turning and it keeps the tension on the thread while you are doing other things.

Cheers
Irvine

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 28/07/2011 at 10:06 »
One more thought (I'm even busier than normal today  :wink) can you move the thread around whilst wrapping the section?  For example if you were to do a highlight wrap and caught in one colour under the first and then changed colour to the second colour, you may want to move the other colour to the right or left accordingly. 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 28/07/2011 at 23:32 »
Thanks chaps,

I hate making something to fullfill a job which I've never undertaken so I'm sure there will be a fair amount of tweakage on this jig.

Irvine,
I have another free-standing upright in the making (to hold the rotary drying motor) so will probably incorporate this 'third leg' on that one.  :z18 The velcro thing - I have attached a horizontal band of sticky backed looped velcro to the stands and have two sections of fuzzy side velcro to do the job which I think you describe  :z16

Matt,

I'm not 100% sure of how my threading set up or indeed how a dual thread wrap works but will have a look at this procedure on youtube and see what's involved.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com