Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Loch to the South of Aboyne
« on: 28/02/2007 at 15:46 »
Anyone know what the loch just to the south of Aboyne is called, who it belongs to, whats in it etc etc?

Click here to view on a map

Regards
Rob

Cal

« Reply #1 on: 28/02/2007 at 16:27 »
Well spotted that man! I can,t think why I havent seen this before, sure someone will have the answer. Just tried calling you by the way, left message on yuor machine.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 28/02/2007 at 17:12 »
Yup  :wink:
Belongs to Dunecht Estate, a club which I used to be a member of expressed interest in leasing it last year but after meeting with the factor the costs he was suggesting were, how shall I put it, way too high for our wee club at several thousand pounds  :z8
Lovely loch if a bit weedy, nice peaceful setting with a head of wild brown trout. I think there's only one person who is allowed to fish it legally and that's the old factor.
As to name it's often known as the Queens Loch or reservoir. The dam wall broke once in the '60s and flooded the houses down towards the river  :shock:

gunner100

« Reply #3 on: 28/02/2007 at 21:12 »
Hi Hamish,

Have looked at the map ref above but was wondering if this was the trout loch on the Glentanar estate. The reason for my interest is that I have been given a couple of day tickets on the Glentanar loch but as the one in the map is the Dunecht estate it is probaly not the Glentanar one. Any idea where the Glentanar one is ?

A few years ago a mate and I were given permission to fish the loch on the Dunecht Estate at Dunecht. Lovely bit of water with a lovely Victorian boathouse. The rules were a bit unusual as the factor was concerned that some of the brownies had gone cannibal so we were only allowed to kill fish with big heads. The mate and I spent hours debating whether we had caught an "ugly one" which had to be killed. LOL

Hamish Young

Ah Ha
« Reply #4 on: 28/02/2007 at 21:19 »
Lyall,
Indeed I do know the Glentanar Loch - well in fact as it's a mere hop skip and jump from my front door in Dinnet  :wink:
It's not the one Rob is talking about but this one:
Click here to view on a map
The Tanar Loch is well up the Glen and past Glantanar House, well worth a visit around April onwards.
Give me a shout before you go, can pass a few hints and tips :idea:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 28/02/2007 at 23:06 »
Hi folks

I edited the two posts with the long links so that they fit the page better.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 01/03/2007 at 09:47 »
Owned by Dunecht Estate you say..thats rather unusual. I will have to have a quiet word with the factor ;)

As for the wee loch on the estate at Dunecht itself, I used to fish that with one of the old keepers. Loads and loads of 6 to 8 oz Brownies. Totally overstocked and under fished :)

Cheers chaps!

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 01/03/2007 at 10:15 »
Rob,
Last year it was a 'youngster' new to factoring by the name of Torquill Gordon Duff (if my memory serves  :shock: ) was dealing with that estate as an understudy to Stewart Young. I think it might have been ultimately Mr Pearson who made the final 'call' about the loch, I dunno for sure  :z8
Good luck  :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 01/03/2007 at 13:05 »
It is Stewart that I know...having bought a very dodgy Landrover off him! I was going to pay him a visit at 3 in the morning..but maybe a letter would be better..lol!!

gunner100

« Reply #9 on: 02/03/2007 at 21:49 »
Hamish,

Many thanks for the link. I think I have found the loch at Glentanar. Will take your advice about holding off until April or later.

A friend, yes I do have one, won 2 tickets in a charity raffle for Glentanar so he passed them on  to me.

Cheers,

Lyall

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com