Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

Caithness last week
« on: 23/07/2011 at 21:16 »
 I knew we had made a mistake when I saw the longrange weather forecast , but we had booked and paid so we had to go. the major popular loch in the area was disappointing for me. I now call it "whatfor". 2 days and £40 for boats and I didnt manage to raise a fish a cold Northerly breeze ( wind at times)killed it for me, however 3 other lochs in the area made up for it, on one loch a hatch of green drakes sailed past like a small regatta with no takers but I managed 3 with an orange invicta, and I put on a wet GD pattern and had one small bewildered  fish , another loch in a stiff breeze saw me with 6 fish to 1/2lb, similarly at the last loch where i was broken , I suspect that as I struck the fish went into the weeds, I had a decent time despite the cold wind but I have never considered July to be very good up here, we saw 10 boats on "Whatfor" on friday evening, we had good digs so it made up for the lack of fish, a 20 minute view of an osprey
fishing but not catching restored my faith.easgach 1

Jim Eddie

Re: Caithness last week
« Reply #1 on: 23/07/2011 at 21:22 »
Aye if it was easy all the time it would not be the same fun  :wink I can testify to that  :grin
Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

:z18

Jim

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 24/07/2011 at 20:24 »
Aye, I was almost glad to get home for a rest, the rest of the group said they felt fished out, in a north wind it can be hard fishing any where, easgach 1

jimmy r

« Reply #3 on: 25/07/2011 at 02:58 »
hi
there is a couple of lochs to the south of where you were at about 10 miles granted they are not very big , they fish well in a north wind and sheltered, hiking boots recomended,
jimmy

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 25/07/2011 at 20:39 »
Aye Jimr,I think we may have fished one of these on the Sunday, it was probably the best of the week, I just think we picked the wrong week weather wise, easgach 1

Offthebard

« Reply #5 on: 26/07/2011 at 21:49 »
Aye it can be hard going,

Made the same mistake with Orkney first week in June - cold blowing wind all week but still managed a couple of nice ones and my fishing buddy lost a big seatrot of a lifetime.

The bard.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 27/07/2011 at 19:26 »
aye sandy , ye can always find some fishing, I had no a bad week, gordon zola wasnt amused, but it was cold a day on the long loch was like early march around here, i hope you steered clear of the highland park   :cool:  easgach1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com