Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Loch Beannie Friday 22nd July
« on: 23/07/2011 at 13:27 »
Myself, Jedi Jim & Dave had a jaunt to Beannie yesterday.

It's been a while since I've been there and memories of the previous visit had me fired up for a good days sport.
It was a pleasant walk in and the weather was favourable, a nice trout even graced us with an appearance close in as we reached the water - then we got geared up and a destict chill fell over the Loch as the grey clouds gathered :roll

Jim and Dave opted for bank fishing and I thought it heathen to fish from anything but the tube.

Shortly after setting sail I was accutely aware of the low water temperature & that it was going to be a strain on the bladder (mine not the float tubes).

Optimism turned to anxiety as I fished some known productive spots without an offer or sign of a rise.  I don't know how long I'd been paddling when I felt that 1st ominous chill in the lower legs and knew that this was the signal for stretching the sealegs. As fate would have it the first offer of the day came as I headed for shore. Then another offer and another then finaly fish on, then off  :z6 twasn't a big fish anyway but the first fish is always the most welcome.
Fishing the same area accounted for a few fish the largest of which was ..............

a little thin but the length was what I'd remembered as the average sized decent fish.

There were some decent shows of Claret Duns when the weather saw a break in the cold wind and a sprinkling of sedge. Looking at the boathouse roof and door showed that Caenis had been in abundance the night before.
 ???

The afternoon was as cold on the internals as the morning but the fish were in more of a taking mood although you had to go hunting for them.

All in all it was a good day & statistically I couldn't argue with the quality of the fishing given the amount of fish, offers & lost fish but a few more degrees would have brought the flies out, fish up and made for a more enjoyable day.

As always it was fished in good company and ironically as we tackled down the sun came out the wind fell and an impressive show of sedge occured.  :z10

Barry Robertson

Re: Loch Beannie Friday 22nd July
« Reply #1 on: 23/07/2011 at 18:11 »
Cheers for the invite ethil  :wink

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 23/07/2011 at 18:26 »
pm sent Glenda  :z7

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 23/07/2011 at 19:33 »
Some nice fish there Iain. 

Shortly after setting sail I was accutely aware of the low water temperature & that it was going to be a strain on the bladder (mine not the float tubes).

I know what you mean.  Nobody mentioned that breathables were freezing compared to my old ocean waders!  I should have had my thermals on underneath mine yesterday.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 23/07/2011 at 23:03 »
Nice report Iain :z16 Good ye got some nice wee trout. Do they look a bit skinny or is it that I'm 2 used to looking at River Don fatty's. No I don't mean yourself Ben and Michael...
I was down the river last night and it was bloody cold. The water has dropped several degrees in temp and the fishing was shite. I did see a nice fish rise but it's in an awwffy difficult spot.. 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com