Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

bordertroot

Life Jacket for Tubing
« on: 20/07/2011 at 13:02 »
Looks like Im about to become a tuber,thanks for all your input (I will post more when it arrives :wink)

Is there any update on the 2009 Lifejacket for Tubing discussion ? I was thinking of
http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/products/61/englands-anglers-manual-gas-lifejacket
Going for the maunual jacket due to the proximity of the water.I will be using the Parton tube and weigh about 12 stone.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob

Peter McCallum

Re: Life Jacket for Tubing
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2011 at 13:32 »
Would suspect you would need to recieve a direct hit from a 12 bore to cause you problems, try some yacht chandlers - they usually have slightly cheaper jackets than fishing shops.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2011 at 18:15 »
Peter is right Bob you'll find cheaper ones that that. I got fed up with the collar tye, they always seem to be in the way of the pocket you needed to get into. I got one of the England waistcoat type, they have a good name but are expensive. Airflo and snowbee do cheaper ones.

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 20/07/2011 at 19:30 »
Any 150 Newton life jacket should serve you well, plenty of choice (even in green) from sources other than the tackle trade where there is a considerable mark up. Consider getting one with a crotch strap.
One thing, if you get one, service it annually.

:z3

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 20/07/2011 at 19:31 »
Have you worn the waistcoat type in the tube yet Jim? I have the airflo which had to be work inside waders otherwise it would absorb water until you are soaked or it activates!! If it was a case you needed to activate it while worn inside waders then I imagine broken ribs could be the first of your problems. I now use a collar type which I have no problems with.  Before you ask Bob the one I use Is one I got through an offshore survival equipment company a few years ago so not commercially available.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 20/07/2011 at 19:43 »
Have you worn the waistcoat type in the tube yet Jim? I have the airflo which had to be work inside waders otherwise it would absorb water until you are soaked or it activates!! If it was a case you needed to activate it while worn inside waders then I imagine broken ribs could be the first of your problems. I now use a collar type which I have no problems with.  Before you ask Bob the one I use Is one I got through an offshore survival equipment company a few years ago so not commercially available.
Noel
Yes I have used it in the tube, it zips off to make it fairly short so not really an issue.

Jim

bordertroot

« Reply #6 on: 20/07/2011 at 20:08 »
Thanks for the replies.
I did originally think of the Airflo waistcoat but was put off by discussions with the tube sellar who pointed out the problems raised by Noel,but if it zips off that must eliminate the problem,but the point made by Hamish in the original post still sticks,that it should be at least 150 newtons.(does this still stand for 12 stone?)

Bob

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 20/07/2011 at 20:10 »
Thanks for the replies.
I did originally think of the Airflo waistcoat but was put off by discussions with the tube sellar who pointed out the problems raised by Noel,but if it zips off that must eliminate the problem,but the point made by Hamish in the original post still sticks,that it should be at least 150 newtons.(does this still stand for 12 stone?)

Bob
Bob its not the Airflo that zips off its this one http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/products/64/englands-doctors-flyfishing-waistcoat-with-integral-gas-lifejacket

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 20/07/2011 at 21:50 »
.......that it should be at least 150 newtons.(does this still stand for 12 stone?)

It is my *ahem* professional opinion that it must be 150 newtons to be fit for its intended purpose. Below 150 newtons I consider it a buoyancy aid, not a life jacket. Do you need a 275 newton :? No, not really. The 150 would be just fine.

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 21/07/2011 at 06:24 »
To be honest one of these will do just fine.
http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/products/22/bluewave-150n-navy-manual-pull-cord-to-inflate-gas-lifejacket
On warm days you can wear it over a shirt (and yes we can have some warm days even in Scotland) and when it's pissing down it can be worn over a jacket.
I just sold the wading jacket / lifejacket that I've used for the last seven years because itwas either too warm or too bulky. The collar life jacket in the link lets me wear whatever I want according to the weather.
Cheap too and really well made. :z16

Plus 1 on Hamishs tip about a regular service. Annually is good. The price of gas bottles is cheap and £16 a year to keep you safe is not expensive.

:z1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 21/07/2011 at 08:23 »
Worth noting that it is not really the gas canister that needs changing, sealed CO2 will outlast us all.  It is the clip / mechanism that has a sell by date.  If anyone comes across an outlet for these without the cylinders please let me know!

Cheers

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #12 on: 21/07/2011 at 11:36 »
Try www.lifejackets.co.uk Ben
Tell them the make and model and they should be able to help.

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com