Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jonathan Kerr

first rod build
« on: 20/07/2011 at 12:49 »
finally got my rod blank and some pieces to start my first rod build.  thanks to some advice from some guys on here  :z16

loving it so far! widened hole in cork today using a rat tail file so i could slide it on and see how it looks put together. nothing glued yet though.  file took a little to much off the reel seat end of the cork, and there is a little play in the last 1/4 of handle...i hear a few strips of masking tape can help before i glue the handle on using DN's PU glue?

i expect the next step is to glue cork on, fit tip guide, do my guide spacings, find spine, and start the more tricky process of guide wrapping.  barely started when i think about it! but at least it feels like i have!  :grin

Irvine Ross

Re: first rod build
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2011 at 15:06 »
I would find the spine before you do anything. Without that you won't know the alignment for the reel seat and the tip ring.

Play in the bottom part of the handle is not good. It should be a snug fit for the whole length. Masking tape is one possibility but if water penetrates to the tape it can come loose. I don't know what to suggest but hopefully Spiderman Sandy will know.

Anyway good luck with the rest of the job :z16

Irvine

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2011 at 16:10 »
Sounds like you're going great guns.  Reference your handle having some play in it then yes you'll need to build it up somehow.  I've never had to build up the blank for a handle but have done it for reel seat. I've used masking tape, graphite bushings which you can get from guides n blanks and I've also used the tape you get for joining plasterboard seams.  Most recently I've used gorilla grip which is an expanding glue to help to take up the gaps. 

Although Irvine is correct, Sandy will have the correct answer!

Cheers

Matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 20/07/2011 at 21:53 »
J

how loose is it? A little play is no problem, fill it with glue :z16
don't put tape under cork, a disaster in the making :shock
I use expanding epoxy for cork, but it's aviation spec and I can't source it outside work :z8
grollia grip is a good alternative .

And like irvine says find the ppob first before fitting the rings.

Have fun

sandy

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #4 on: 21/07/2011 at 00:48 »
its maybe just over 1mm gap between the cork and blank, i dont think its too serious as most of the grip is fairly snug all over and the PU glue i got from DN apparently has a high expansion volume ( i did do a little test on an old bit of cork, it's certainly strong and does foam up a bit!) i'll also be sure to find the spine before fitting the guides/seet. its a 9'6 6wt though, and there is certainly not much bending going on in the bottom section of the rod! i'm going to presume the spine lines up nice and neat, so the sage writing is perfectly on the side of the rod for this bottom piece!  :wink

thanks all for the advice.   :z16

Jonathan Kerr

2nd coat
« Reply #5 on: 01/09/2011 at 08:37 »
well, thats the second coat of epoxy dry. although i think i may have been a little cautious and not quite put enough epoxy on.  or perhaps its just a little humpy, and kind of dips at the bottom of the foot. all i did really was thinly cover the first coat, and go over the edge of the wrap onto the blank a little bit more.  i should have gone for more of a cigar shape as in sandy sbs, but being worried about putting to much on i think i may have gone the other direction! i have some photos i'll put on this morning, if my work computer will let me! once i ge the photos up, i guess my question is should i put some more epoxy on and build up the shape a little bit?!

jonathan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 01/09/2011 at 12:56 »
Aye Much smaller by the look of it.

Size them to 640x 480 pixels and they will work fine :z16

Sandy

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #7 on: 01/09/2011 at 13:11 »
just read that thing about tiny pic so will resize and put some smaller ones up in a couple hours after work! annoyingly my work computer wont even let me use the tinypic button!!

jonathan

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #8 on: 01/09/2011 at 14:30 »
perhaps better this time, made smaller using online prog.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 01/09/2011 at 19:34 »
Nice Jonathan  :z16

I'm sure the experts will give you (and me) some tips on the epoxying but well done for posting the photos and on your 1st build.
Looking forward to the photo's of the fish caught using it.  :z16

Iain

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #10 on: 03/09/2011 at 18:17 »
Well thats my rod now complete.  I just wanted to say thanks to those who have offered their help and advice! Particularly Sandy. I've learned loads and am looking forward to building again in the future and learning from all my little mistakes.

Nothing left to do now but hit shetland in October and chase some lovely sea trout around the coast! - although i'm sure i'll find somewhere to take it for a few practice casts before then!

thanks,
Jonathan

Alex Burnett

« Reply #11 on: 03/09/2011 at 18:42 »
Well Done Johnathon  :z18

Rod is looking great :z16

Alex

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 04/09/2011 at 01:32 »
Jonathon you are more than welcome :z18

However why can't I see the pictures :cry
There is nothing there as far as I can tell, wonder if this
Is another apple anomoly? :z8

I'll be home in under 4 weeks now... Hurrah  :z3 so looking fwd to seeing
Both yours and iains rods.

Cool

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com