Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Reid

Streamers on the Clyde
« on: 20/07/2011 at 08:23 »
Morning Folks,

Since I took some pictures last night I thought i would give you a 'wee story' of last nights fishing.  I decided to head to the Lamington water on the Clyde.  As the water was high and the colour of tea I opted for a black wooly bugger and rio streamertip.

I found a likely spot with a nice drop off and had a take on my second cast which I missed  :mad , two casts later and this wee fella was in the net

I have not done a lot of streamer fishing but what I have noticed is that I get a lot of 'bumps' from fish but i reckon only about 30% hook ups.  Does anyone else get this when fishing streamers?

I landed another few fish just over the 1lb mark from a pool further downstream, here is a picture of a couple of them;

I moved further downstream to another likely looking spot with a good run and a back eddie at the far bank.  I fished for about 15 minutes and had a good bump but no hook up and was about to give up when the water erupted 'fish on'. It effed off downstream like a dolphin and I knew it was a tremendous fish.  Since I was up over my nuts in the water I retreated to a shallower area.  I thought I was getting on top off the beggar when the reel screamed again and he was off taking me halfway into the backing.  By this time my heart was racing and I had still not seen the fish.  When I eventually had him at close quarters and got sight of him I was about pissing myself with excitement, unfortunately this quickly turned to rage when the beggar gave an almighty splash and unhooked himself. :cry  It is definitely the biggest fish I have ever hooked on the river and I would guess he was well over the 5lb mark.  However, thats fishing!  :!

By this time the light was fading and so was my mood.  I fished on for another 20 minutes getting a fish about 2lb just as it was dark and unfortunately the phone I have does not have a flash.  Was a lovely fish though.

I think I will get after them again after work with the streamers but if the water drops more I will get back to the blue winged olives.

PS Not many fish rising last night even although there was a decent hatch of blue wings and sedges.

Ewan Lindsay

Re: Streamers on the Clyde
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2011 at 08:44 »
Looks and sounds like a fantastic evening John.  Don't blame you for getting straight back down there tonight...you never know your 5lb-er might be up for Round 2...?!

Ewan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2011 at 09:29 »
Superb John,

All nice fish, very nice.  I had a few nice fish from the Clyde on streamers, that fly you were fishing is the one!!

Did you take Noel along as camera man?  :z4

Cheers

Ben

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 20/07/2011 at 11:20 »
I am up for tonight Ewan, I will need to get to the vice first though as I have given that many of the streamers away I only had 1 left and it has now seen better days.

Cheers Ben, I do believe this was a pattern recommended by you!  No sign of Noel last night but hopefully will get him to get some pictures on the Clyde at some point.  That offer extends to all you guys in the NE.  I thought I would not get any Trout fishing like I got on the Don but I have found some great fishing on the Clyde.

Back to work I suppose, can't wait to get finished to get back out!  :z2

Does anyone else have any streamer pattern recommendations that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 20/07/2011 at 12:40 »
Great stuff John. Shame about the big fella but now you know where it lives! At least you got to see it which is better than nothing. The average size of those fish is impressive.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 20/07/2011 at 13:36 »
 I thought I would not get any Trout fishing like I got on the Don but I have found some great fishing on the Clyde.

First time I saw the upper Don I thought it was identical in nature to the clyde John. Well done on some cracking fish  :z14

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 20/07/2011 at 13:55 »
Nice fishes there John!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 20/07/2011 at 18:12 »
Well done John, some cracking fish there  :z16

Streamers , you rapist  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 20/07/2011 at 22:22 »
Some nice plump Broonies there Johnny boy  :z16

Absolute pity about the big gun  :z19

Jim's right tho' you are a rapist  :z7

See you in a couple of weeks.

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #9 on: 20/07/2011 at 22:43 »
Thanks guys,

I prefer the 'unorthodox' tag rather than rapist as I can't get the jail for being unorthadox  :grin :grin

Never managed to get out tonight as had forgot I had promised the good lady I would take her out for dinner.  I have got some more raping flies streamers tied for tomorrow  :grin

Looking forward to catching up with you all n a couple of weeks.  :grin :grin

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #10 on: 20/07/2011 at 22:46 »
Brilliant John!!  :z18 Some cracking fish there, just a shame about the big one.  :z6

Im home as of 1st August. I will drop you a message and we will get a day sorted on the clyde.  :z16

Fishing with streamers on the river is something i know very little about. Is it worth getting the ollie edwards DVD to put me on the right track or is it just a matter of casting square across and letting em swing?

Tight lines
Paul

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 20/07/2011 at 23:22 »
Brilliant John!!  :z18 Some cracking fish there, just a shame about the big one.  :z6

Im home as of 1st August. I will drop you a message and we will get a day sorted on the clyde.  :z16

Fishing with streamers on the river is something i know very little about. Is it worth getting the ollie edwards DVD to put me on the right track or is it just a matter of casting square across and letting em swing?

Tight lines
Paul

Paul,

Get the DVD, is well worth a watch but you'll get the best info from a book called "modern streamers for trophy trout" by Kelly Galloup.

Cheers

Ben

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #12 on: 20/07/2011 at 23:43 »
Paul,

Get the DVD, is well worth a watch but you'll get the best info from a book called "modern streamers for trophy trout" by Kelly Galloup.

Cheers

Ben

Cheers Ben. Im on it!  :cool:

John Reid

« Reply #13 on: 21/07/2011 at 06:06 »
Paul, that would be great, just drop me a PM when you are down and I will get something sorted.

I'm on it as well Ben.  I watched a video of Kelly tying a zoo cougar and was very impressed!  :z14

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com