Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

manxman22

Re: salmon fishing
« Reply #15 on: 20/07/2011 at 17:26 »
O.K, understood Darren.

See how much rain we get tomorrow, the Don is coming up just now.  Once it settles and starts to come down try literally anywhere above Alford as far up as Glenkindie.  Be aware that above the Bridge of Alford there is no spinning on most beats.  Small fly, #10 or #12 fished on a floater with a polyleader fast enough to keep it 6" or so below the surface, you'll need to change tips as you work a pool to give you the best chance.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben (and all),

Does the Don Code 2011 not stipulate that there is 'no spinning above the Bridge of Alford?'. I thought this was the case, without exception?

Thanks, Manxman.

Hamish Young

« Reply #16 on: 20/07/2011 at 19:31 »
Indeed it does, but that doesn't mean that some proprietors/tenants really give a sh*t as it is a voluntary code.

:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #17 on: 20/07/2011 at 23:34 »
As H said, the code is voluntary and its enforcement is down to the proprietor, unfortunately most don't really care.

Ben

manxman22

« Reply #18 on: 21/07/2011 at 21:10 »
Ben,

Knowing what I do about the Don and those who fish it, which clearly isn't as much as you guys, this really surprises me. The beat I fish are very keen to follow the code (well, we haven't ever considered breaking it to be honest!) and thought it was pretty well followed generally. It obviously depends as much on the individual as the beat by the sounds of it.

Very surprised actually...Manxman.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com