Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bryan

Complicated.
« on: 12/07/2011 at 19:08 »
The more I fish, the more complicated it becomes!
 Is that normall for a beginer?
Ignorance is bliss, getting  up in skill level will be brilliant!
 I know there is no magic wand rod, but a quality rod must contibruite to the enjoyment??
Just wondering, if any of this sort of stuff happend to you?

Irvine Ross

Re: Complicated.
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2011 at 20:33 »
The more I fish, the more complicated it becomes!
 Is that normall for a beginer?

Bryan

It's normal for every fly fisher from beginner to expert.  :z16

The more you fish and the more different places you fish, the more you learn. For me, that's part of the attraction. We are all still learning, it's unending. That's what stops us getting to the stage where we are bored and want to look outside of fishing to find new challenges.

Stick with it and the good days will make up for the frustrating ones (that's what I keep telling myself on the frustrating days)

Good luck  :z18

Irvine

gunner100

« Reply #2 on: 12/07/2011 at 20:54 »
As a BOF (Boring Old Fart) who has now been fly fishing for 30 years , I know how you feel. We will never be able to master the art in all it's varied challenges. river, small still water , large reservoir, remote highland loch or whatever. Amongst the beauties of our pastime , I refuse to call it a sport, is that the more we get into it , the more we understand that there are so many facets to it, that if we mastered them all , our whole world  would revolve around fly fishing. Then we would truly become a BOF :z4

Lyall

Bryan

« Reply #3 on: 12/07/2011 at 21:17 »
I dont feel so bad now, thanks.
 I fish at Banchory, I feel cofident and shure of myself.
I went to Forfar, felt lost, could not settle, saw fish boil around my fly, caught nothing.
 Somedays I feel like I do everything right and somedays I feel like I do everything wrong.
 Oh and is it my imagination, but every one is a better caster than I am.

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 12/07/2011 at 22:56 »
Dude, don't feel alone at all. We have all been there, and on new waters we ALL still are.
OK, I've been at this for a while but the advice might not be what others might think. This might not be what you're after but bare with me.

Flies
Learn what the real ones are, not the ones that "experts" tell you to use as a "never fail" pattern. One chap on here has so many "prototypes" it would make your head spin.  :z16 So find out all you can about the insect life where you want to fish, river or loch and THEN find out what flies will imitate the chosen prey. You might be surprised how small your fly box might end up but then that brings us to...

Fly tying
This is as important as the fishing. Learn slowly how to do this and you will be able to interpretate what you see into what you chuck at the fish. Which leads me to...

Casting.
If you are not confident in what you are doing ASK. There are some GREAT casters on here that can help you. Take a lesson because one hour with a pro (finaar finaar) might just make the difference.

Gunner 100 said that this is not a sport. Top man! This will be a way of life that will suck you in and spit you out some days and humble you and on others it will lift you above the loch. It is not a sport, it is a way of life, that can only improve your life. There is no doubt that the learning curve will be steep. Anyone that says they know it all is a twat. You'll be dead before you've learned most of it, but you will die a happy and fulfilled man.

Dude, enjoy, ask, seek and most importantly, just fish.

Have fun

:z1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 13/07/2011 at 14:13 »
This is certainly normal, and it will get worse.

The more you fish the more you learn, meaning the bigger range of tactics and approaches you can draw on.  But this means the bigger the choice the bigger the starting point and, sometimes, the bigger the doubt you are doing something wrong, or would be better off trying a different method.  Confused yet, you will be.

The good news is the more you learn, the more and better experienced you will become and the more you will be able to adapt to the circumstances around you with the approach / equipment you have at hand.  Or more simply put the better you will be at making it work. The other spin off with experience is you will enjoy a certain style / approach more than an other and take enjoyment out of fishing this way, irrespective of results.

It's very enjoyable and interesting to learn new ways of fishing or pick up wee tips and hints from others.  You'll never learn it all (thankfully) so you'll never loose this enjoyment.  (If you do it's time for the golf clubs i'm afraid  :z4)

There may be better ways to fish any given style of approach, but no right or wrong ways.  Experiance is certainly a cure for confusion and frustration, but no matter how long we've been at this game we all still suffer from both these from time to time.   Best treatment for a bad day, or run of bad days is a good day.  Like falling off yer bike, get straight back on and give it another go.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 13/07/2011 at 14:24 »
there is an acronym " KISS" ( keep it simple stupid)and you can apply this to any thing, I have gone back to where I started, I now dont use braided loops, I use mono, and i keep my flies as simple as I can, it means that when I go fishing with a friend nI can let him carry most of the gear  :z4 ,seriously , I find I am better off with my cast holders and the tried and tested figure of "8"knot for connecting, I have been through all the complicated bits and I was no better off
just poorer, but its what floats your boat at the end of the day, it suits me sir, :cool: easgach1

Bryan

« Reply #7 on: 13/07/2011 at 19:22 »

Flies
Learn what the real ones are, not the ones that "experts" tell you to use as a "never fail" pattern. One chap on here has so many "prototypes" it would make your head spin.  :z16 So find out all you can about the insect life where you want to fish, river or loch and THEN find out what flies will imitate the chosen prey. You might be surprised how small your fly box might end up
I have seen this on TV, sounds like a plan, I live next to a river, I will give it a try.
I do see a lot of tadpoles where I fish, do trout eat tadpoles?
 Thank you so much for the tips.

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 14/07/2011 at 09:29 »
One chap on here has so many "prototypes" it would make your head spin.  :z16

Ahemmmmmmm  :wink Can't think for the life of me who you might be talking about there chap  :z4

Bryan, I can only echo the general sentiment of the replies thus far.
Skill comes with experience, experience comes with 'doing' and 'doing' only comes from getting out there and fishing :cool:
Let's face it, it's a cool way to learn by getting out and 'doing'.
Don't be afraid to ask other anglers what they're using, have a chat. With a few exceptions, most anglers are pretty approachable types and willing to help a newbie.

Trout do eat tadpoles.

:z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #9 on: 14/07/2011 at 12:52 »
I guess it depends on what your frustration is.  But casing can easily be improved with a few lessons, and some practise outside of fishing time. 

In terms of fishing I have tried to avoid using lots of different tactics and get good at one rather than lots of different tactics and not really understanding how to fish any of them.

cheers

matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com