Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

bordertroot

Wanted ; Float Tube
« on: 12/07/2011 at 18:06 »
Just thought I would ask if anyone is selling one.
PM me if you have one for sale.

Bob

Allan Liddle

Re: Wanted ; Float Tube
« Reply #1 on: 13/07/2011 at 13:57 »
Come on guys you've got to help out a newcomer to tubing, espically with a name like 'Bob'  :z4
sorry Bob couldn't resist.  :wink Luckily his surname isn't F(l)ynn, aye ok clutching at straws now, i'll get ma coat  :z6

Sadly i haven't an old tube for sale, but if any on here have it would be a shame not to reply.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 14/07/2011 at 00:40 »
Ebay would be a good hunting ground  :z17

:z3

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 15/07/2011 at 13:08 »
Not sure i'm a fan of those ones Mike as the seat can be an issue (especially the back rest)

Prefer the style of an inflated back (more ridged)

Also for a first try i'm sure a cheap second hand one would be best?

Quickcast 84

« Reply #5 on: 15/07/2011 at 23:24 »
bordertroot

try overstocked.com

there you will find a bargain  :z16

darren

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 16/07/2011 at 08:32 »
Not sure i'm a fan of those ones Mike as the seat can be an issue (especially the back rest)

I agree. I have seen one in action recently and, I have to say, it looked simply pants. Lot of adjusting to get the seating position right for the fella who had bought it and even then it just didn't sit 'right' in the water. Didn't help that the occupant was built like a racing snake, but still saw enough to convince me it's not a great tube.
Mind you, I recall (and I'm sure others will too) that the original Snowbee required a couple of fairly modifications to get it right.

Also for a first try i'm sure a cheap second hand one would be best?

Import from the 'States. Still a cheaper option than buying UK, if you're buying on ebay.com anyway [hint :!] :wink Personally, I'd avoid buying a secondhand 'tube unless it had solid provenance.

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 16/07/2011 at 13:29 »
"Personally, I'd avoid buying a secondhand 'tube unless it had solid provenance."

Couldn't agree more Hamish and I agree with the Ron Thompson thing. There are occasional tubes on ebay so it's one of those things that you have to try daily.
You could try  Steve Parton to see if he has any second hand as well.

If you get a Snowbee let me know and I'll guide you through what it needs to be a good tube :z16

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 17/07/2011 at 02:17 »
An angler fishing at Haddo a while back had an RT and I didn't much like the look of the tube on the bank, but he liked it and it sat nicely in the water when he was out in it. I think he said he hardly inflated the seat and this was much better? ..... I find all the ones with straps to support the backrest a pain. It wouldn't be my choice of tube, but I've seen a lot worse :wink

This was it

This is going to be a problem, Steve is closing up shop so no more Spartons and the Shakey Expeditions are drying up fast and are getting very difficult to find indeed ............ so to be totally honest, I cannot think of a float tube currently available on the market that I would recommend :shock

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 17/07/2011 at 11:11 »
That's a different model to the one I saw, guessing that's the RT 'deluxe' tube :?
Certainly better than the gash one I saw recently.

I maintain the easiest thing to do is buy new from the USA (perhaps via ebay) and stomach the import costs.
But maybe something will turn up in time here.......

bordertroot

« Reply #10 on: 17/07/2011 at 15:49 »
Thanks for the replies and the variety of is part of the problem!
It would seem `The Parton` and `Shaky Expedition` are the tube of choice,but are like hens teeth.If I thought I would enjoy using it,I wouldnt mind the investment but my reply to a recent `Which rod` would seem to apply to tubes,that is its a matter of personal preference.
I did try overstocked.com,.Quickcast 84 but could only come up with a U tube,but will keep looking.
The same problem arises with ordering from the USA. Hamish,what do I order ?
I did see a `Guideline Drifter Float Tube` unused for £170 but I understand this sits high in the water and as Im 12st. it would probably sit higher :z4.
Och the problems with choice.

Thanks for the input,
Bob

Quickcast 84

« Reply #11 on: 17/07/2011 at 16:23 »
bob

there is also a wide range on the cabela website,u and v style tubes,and very cheap  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #12 on: 17/07/2011 at 18:37 »
"This is going to be a problem, Steve is closing up shop so no more Spartons and the Shakey Expeditions are drying up fast and are getting very difficult to find indeed "

Mike, do you know when? I was going to order a set of Sparton bladders for the Oktober and I may have to do this sooner rather than later.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 17/07/2011 at 19:05 »
Hi Euan :z16

Quite soon I think, he is already winding things down. Somebody else tried him for custom bladders recently and got a "sorry, not doing them anymore" reply, but I can't remember who it was.

Worth giving him a phone though :wink

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #14 on: 17/07/2011 at 19:33 »
Sh*t!
Thanks Mike, I'll try him tomorrow.
I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com