Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Howard & Stuart

Buzzers and Dries Best at Lochter.
« on: 11/07/2011 at 12:04 »
There is nothing more encouraging for an angler than to see fish rising as he or she approaches the water. It means there are fish there and they are feeding. All that remains is to work out how to catch them and this can be more difficult than it seems .Are they taking flies off the surface or just an inch below, what size of flies, what colour. Will I try the washing line with a mix of dries and buzzers or maybe just dries. These conundrums simply add to the enjoyment of the sport, especially when the carefully considered  method works!
At Lochter Fishery Oldmeldrum during the past week this has been the situation with plenty of fish to be seen but persuading them on to the hook has been a different matter. Intermittent sunshine and showers made the job even trickier as the fish moved up and down in the water but G Niven got the mix right and landed eight on buzzers and dries. Using buzzers only M Yeoman from Aberdeen had a good day with eleven and Denny Mackay from Inverness stuck with buzzers and had a dozen to his name. Klinkhammer dries were the successful choice of James Renwick who bagged nine and the experienced Albert Trail used hoppers to tempt eight ,keeping two for the barbecue and releasing six.
J Anderson from Aberdeen had a very nice fish of 9lbs8oz  in his bag of fourteen tempted by a variety of nymphs and lures on one of the sunny days when the fish stayed deep to avoid the brightness.
The weather forecast for this week is for  more of the same with no sign of a serious summer heatwave setting in. This may be bad news for holidaymakers but for anglers it is fine as water temperatures stay down and fly life abounds.
HH
11/07/11  :z15

adambrain

Re: Buzzers and Dries Best at Lochter.
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2011 at 15:35 »
I had good day there on friday. While I was there only a few people caught and very few fish were seen, I wasnt able to fill in the catch book as I had a very inpatient father who was picking me up to go for a family meal, but I managed 11 fish to olive nymphs and crunchers the biggest being 6lb and nothing less than 2lb id say. All fish were returned.

guthrie

Re: Buzzers and Dries Best at Lochter.
« Reply #2 on: 15/07/2011 at 14:36 »
I had a very good morning session there today. 10 caught in total. 1 kept at 3lbs and the biggest of the day was 7lbs. All were caught on buzzers. Particulary White and green okay dokey and a black and orange head epoxy one. The only problem of the day was one snapped rod but thankfully the lend of one of the house rods kept me fishing for the rest of my session

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com