Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

dazdidge

introduction and first questions
« on: 27/02/2007 at 18:52 »
Hi everyone, first of all my name is darren, or daz for short. I only started fly  fishing around 5 months ago, I had tried it a lot of years ago and thought it was a waste of time :oops:  and never pursued it. I have done a bit of pike and trout fishing using lures and trolling but discovered a small loch 5minutes from my house that I was given permission to fish but fly only, it is stocked with browns and rainbows and so I decided to give it a go. Although I like the trolling etc it is not as involving/interesting as fly and have discovered that I now prefer it. My friend has lent me a 9ft #5-7 carbon fibre rod to which I have added a Greys GRXi 5/6 reel with 4 spares spools as well as a good selection of wet and dries, and some lures as well as an intermediate and fast sink line and some 6lb leader. The lines and leaders were recommended by a local shop for fishing at this time of year (fish down lower?) and they did recommend I also buy a slow and a floating line to make up the kit. I have already caught my first (but only) brown trout at the end of last season and it has me totally hooked!

My first questions are: are what are the most common/best methods of joining a fly onto the line, at the moment I am using a braided loop onto fly line and then a knotless tippet to which I connect the leader and then the fly. Are there any websites that show different combinations? I have tried looking but can't seem to find anything
Will the kit I now have be sufficient for me starting out? I do realise I will most likely want to add to my kit as time goes on, but I have now spent quite a few quid just to get where I am

Most importantly, can anyone recommend a good book for absolute novices to the fly fishing world and where I can buy it?

thanks in advance for any advice
daz

Jim Eddie

Welcome
« Reply #1 on: 27/02/2007 at 20:41 »
Daz

Welcome to te forum , you gear is more than adequate to start with. If you want anothr way of attaching the leader to the fly line see the needle knot.
http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/fishing-knots.htm

The Pursuit of Stillwater Trout by Brian Clarke is a good book or Lesley Crawfords - The Trout Fishers Handbook.

:z18

Jim

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2007 at 20:49 »
Daz

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your rod and reel will be just fine to get you started. The only addition I would suggest is a floating line. You will certainly need it as the weather warms up. I do most of my fishing with a floater and only occasionaly use an intermediate. Most of the small trout lochs around here are not very deep so I don't find much use for a fast sinker.

A lot of people dislike braided loops so a common method is to nail knot a length of heavy nylon onto the end of the fly line and then attach a tapered leader to that. For instructions on the nail knot and every other knot you will ever need see

http://www.fishandfly.com/articles/20060906_2

I can't recommend a book as I have never found one myself but I will bet that someone on the forum will give you some ideas.

Good Luck

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 28/02/2007 at 19:51 »
Hi Daz

Welcome to the forum, i agree with what the guys are saying, get your self a floating line. And needle knot the leader to the tip. :z16
other than that, just have fun, visit places and talk the people you meet, you'll learn loads, decide for yourself what you wish to digest.

A decent line is the best investment (shameless plug) the Barrio Mallards are the best value in floaters, if you are looking for one.  :grin:

Enjoy

Sandy

dazdidge

« Reply #4 on: 01/03/2007 at 07:11 »
thanks for the replies guys, and yes I do need a floating line and I will have a look later on :wink:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com