Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Neoprene socks
« on: 09/07/2011 at 11:04 »
Didn't know which section to post this in so I stuck it here.
Does anyone on here wear neoprene socks under breathable waders, either float tubing or just plain wading. Do they give more warmth than normal socks or are they too hot?
I'm going down the breathable route for tubing / wading and I'm trying to work out the best way to keep my feet warm. I run hot so I don't need superduper thermals, but I would like to get as small a boot as possible so walking into a remote loch is comfortable and two pairs of thick socks wouldn't be the best.
Any thoughts?

:z1

PDScott

Re: Neoprene socks
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2011 at 11:18 »
Can't say about breathable waders but I wear with neoprenes when colder. One thing I would say is that they cause some smell - I don't normally have sweaty feet but these socks "honk" and I have found it very difficult to wash out the smell!
They are certainly warmer than standard socks but a little bulkier - hope this helps.
Peter

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2011 at 12:40 »
Euan,

Get yourself a pack of Orvis heavy weight wading socks, not cheap at £29.95 for 3pr but they are very good.  I never have cold feet, think H & Mike have them too.  Must be good, even Magnus likes them.

Cheers

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2011 at 15:11 »
Thanks all.
Wading socks it is then. Don't fancy the stinky feet thing at all...

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2011 at 15:48 »
I have several pairs of the Orvis merino wool heavy wading socks, they're bloody ace.
Warm and hard wearing they've lasted me well, I use them a lot at work during the winter - no cold feet.
Worth every penny - even Magnus says so  :wink

:z3

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2011 at 21:51 »
I use neoprene socks but in my walking boots as the liner has gone and the NPsocks keep my feet dry, these are £6 ex military, easgach 1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 10/07/2011 at 10:00 »
Just now i don't bother and wear a simple pair of normal socks under waders (spare pair in the car boot for changing after)
If it's really cold i still weat the this socks, but with the neoprene socks on the outside over my waders.  Just make sure you buy big enough socks, and your boots will accomodate (nothing worse than boots too tight hurting your feet)

Dryflee

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com