Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bryan

Narrow it down
« on: 08/07/2011 at 21:28 »
Ok in a shot time, I will be buying a new rod, I need guidence.
 Orvis western 3 ot Redington Clasic trout ????????. OR!!!!!!!!!!!

I already own three rods,  but all of them were second hand (pervouisly enjoyed) time to treat my self.

bordertroot

Re: Narrow it down
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2011 at 21:49 »
Bryan,I think rods are a very personal thing,Ive just come back from a week in South Uist and used a Bruce and Walker I bought 30 years ago and remembered why I bought it.
Start of this year I treated myself to an Orvis Hydros 9ft.5# tip action.Wanted to love it,couldnt ----------percivered,now its my go to .
Unlike many I really  like my Greys `Streamflex`for wee rivers and burns,many would disagree.

What do you want your rod for is the first question,then decide what you want to pay.
Go where you can try the rod out for a while,not a quick cast in a lochan at the back of the shop where the salesman is asking you if it suits.

Bob

adambrain

« Reply #2 on: 10/07/2011 at 22:20 »
One of my favourites are the Sharpes of Aberdeen, superb light weight and at a good price.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 16/07/2011 at 14:57 »
Orvis Western 3 for me, mind you its like border troot says very much a subjectice choice, try before you buy.

:z18

Jim

Bryan

« Reply #4 on: 27/07/2011 at 07:01 »
I am still looking, Redington, Orvis, Sharpes, Greys, and that is just the tip of the iceberg, Its apperent to me that fishing equipment is a very competitive affair.

Great for us/me.

A rod I looked at in a shop in Arbroath was Bromanodell, felt very light; was told that that rod was just as good as any of the other more familliar names out there.

In the past I always used Diawa rods if I could, but then I was catching large mouth bass and catfish, I also had a small Shakespear spinning rod I used for  bank fishing, and I had plenty of fun with that!

I feel that if I go for a reputiable name, that I should be OK, I feel jsy like I should just go and pick up a rod and start fishing!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com