Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kev Danby

Rio AFS
« on: 08/07/2011 at 12:50 »
Afternoon all I'm looking to purchase an AFS kit 9/10 and see there are a couple of types. The AFS Shooting Head and Tracker

Can anyone advise what the difference is between the two

They both appear to be the same price but the tracker has four versi tips and Shooting head three tip.

Cheers

Kev

Matt Henderson

Re: Rio AFS
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2011 at 13:53 »
Kev,

Ben is the man to talk to!

Matt

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 08/07/2011 at 17:31 »
Get the tracker - without question over the two it is the better line, even for a ham-fisted bar steward like me :wink
I'm sure Ben will be more able to say exactly why it's so much better (profile and where the weight is or is not distributed through the line might be two reasons) but if buying again in the immediate future then the Tracker would be high on my list.
Nice colour too  :cool:

:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 08/07/2011 at 21:51 »
Hi Kev,

Depends what you are doing with it.  The tracker is an AFS floating head that has had 15' of the front taper removed and looped, to this is attached a 15' multi tip Spey line tip (identical tips to the windcutter / mid spey etc).  Tracker comes with intermediate, type III, Type VI & type VIII tips only, no full floating option.  It really is a line for shifting gear, big tubes etc, I tend to use it without a polyleader and tie tippet straight to the tip.  IMO it bridges the gap between a Skagit and a regular shooting head, a superb line to have in the bag in case you ever need it, for bigger tubes in tight spots it is absolutely awesome. 

For lighter duties, go for the AFS kit, this should handle a bit better with average size flies and will present a bit better than the tracker will IMO. 

Other option is togo for one of the new MacKenzie heads, these are a far better head than the AFS, they fly and drop in fairly level rather than arse down first like the AFS, they will also carry larger flies and are more stable.

If you are after Rio gear give me a shout at the shop as I'm just about to mark most of mine down by 15%.

Cheers

Ben

Kev Danby

« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2011 at 13:08 »
Thanks for the advice I'll check out the MacKenzie line and looks like a trip to Banchory is in order.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com