Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Steven Kidd

Loch Watten and Loch Toftingall
« on: July 05, 2011, 20:52:27 PM »
Hi All,

Just back from my annual trip to Loch Watten and Toftingall.

A great trip this year, with a new element to highland loch fishing, sunburn! :shock, makes a change from the usual wind, rain or midges!

The fishing was a struggle with the cloudless sky's and sun direct above your head from midday onwards, so the weekend routine was morning fishing........afternoon beer.......evening fishing.  This worked perfect, with 4 fish up to 2lb caught on Saturday on Watten.  As usual I fished traditionals with the good old Black Pennell on the point taking the best two fish.  In the evening I had better success with a Golden Olive Bumble on the bob. 

Loch Toftingall on Sunday was totally different, and the morning saw the most amazing mayfly hatch i have ever seen!......it really was amazing to see those big beasties crawling out their shuck and flying off the surface of the water.  I struggled to catch during this hatch as i had no decent mayfly imitations with me :z8.........the best i could do was cut the legs off a daddy long legs and hope for the best......i had countless swirls at the fly but nothing took.   i was trying every trick in the book and still couldn't hookup.  The mayfly ceased and the sun came out and that was the end of that.

Monday was back to Watten, with a change in the weather with great cloud cover, but a mega wind which made things difficult.  on went some bigger size 10 flies today, with the best fly being a Pearly Invicta taking just the on trout which was around a pound.

The weather during the day meant that there was plenty of time to take a drive around Caithness and take in some of the hotspots.  JohnO'Groats and Dunnet Head were taken in as well as a wee look at Loch Heilen and StJohns Loch which both looked great.  However i was most impressed with the Dunnet Head Lochs which are very small lochans dotted about by the road up to the lighthouse.  These are managed by the Dunnet Head angling club and are in unbelievable locations perched right atop the craggy cliffs which look over Orkney from the mainland..........i will be back there very soon i think, especially since i seen countless fish rising!

I fancy fishing Beanie Loch soon, anyone know the way or fancy planning a trip with me?

Cheers,

Steven

Hamish Young

Re: Loch Watten and Loch Toftingall
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 21:06:51 PM »
Nice going Steven - take any pics :?

:z3
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 21:16:32 PM »
Hamish,

Unfortunately i don't have any pictures this year.........i have built up a sort of superstition about cameras, whenever i take one with me i catch heeehaw!

Whenever I leave it out the boat i always catch a decent fish, i was really pleased with the 2lber on Watten, that is my best wild loch troot so far.

I'll take the camera out again soon though, to tempt fate one more time.......

Cheers,

Steven

Noel kelly

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 22:07:34 PM »
Aw Steven to hell with superstition, bring that camera man. Sounds like ye had a great time. Would love some of that action right now. Been 2 long since I see a mayfly.
Beanie now there's an idea. Haven't been up there in a few years. When were you thinking of?

Goolager

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 18:28:48 PM »
Absolute crime not taking pictures Steverino.  ::)

Sounds like you had some nice fish and fishing through the mayfly hatch would have been exciting in itself.

Iain

Steven Kidd

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 20:40:38 PM »
Aw Steven to hell with superstition, bring that camera man. Sounds like ye had a great time. Would love some of that action right now. Been 2 long since I see a mayfly.
Beanie now there's an idea. Haven't been up there in a few years. When were you thinking of?

Ok, camera next time, I'll try it........

Loch Bheanie I was thinking of Saturday.......but haven't a clue how to get there or where to get permits etc?

I am almost tempted to go back up to Toftingall with a few decent Mayflies.......but that might need to wait a few weeks.

Send me a PM if your serious about Bheanie,

Cheers,

Steven

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk