Anything by John Gierach
Lesley Crawfords books are OK
Datus Poper- What the Trout Saw.

:z18

Jim

Mike Livingstone

Books
« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2007 at 12:59 »
Don't forget Steve Raymond and if you have not come across it yet check out Pale Morning Done by Jeff Hull - A novel but fantastic read.  His 2nd book is out now but follows the standard short stories.  It is a good read and I like his writing but I am finding the US writers are starting to follow the same path of having to have one story about bonefish, one about dogs and so on.  If you are only going to read 1 of Geirach's books then pick up Trout Bum then if you want to read more go for Good Flies and Fishing Bamboo.  Dave Ames' book A Good Life Wasted is worth a look as well.

Depnds what you want from the book as well.  If you want more how to stuff them Brian Clarke's Pursuit of Stillwater Trout, River Trout Fishing by Peter Lapsley and Dry Fly Fishing by someone I can't remember right now!  ON the entomology side of things there is Matching the Hatch by Peter O'Reilly (a good overview),  Trout Flies of Britain and Europe by John Goddard (heavy going) and my favourite Caddisflies by Gary Lafontaine.  For fly tying I would go with Gary LaFontaine's Trout Flies - Proven Patterns, AK's fly box by AK Best, 200 Popular flies by Tom Stewart and Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes.

I think that should keep you busy for a while.

Gary

Fishing Books
« Reply #3 on: 05/03/2007 at 16:33 »
I'm currently reading The Loch Fisher's Bible by Stan Headley.  (A very presumptious title).

My thoughts at this early stage are that it is very much a book for the beginner (like me) who does not have enough experience to have formed particularly strong opinions on the subjects he discussed.  He seems to be quite forthright with his view on matters (as he has every right to do in his book I suppose  :z4 ).

Personally I am finding it useful because I have little knowledge of wild trout fishing.   :oops:

He makes one interesting point (although it's pobably been said before) about wild brownies feeding in a completely different way to 'bows (vertical rather than horizontal feeding).  And also that brownies are more attracted to traditional wet fly patterns.  Incidentally, when I fish it tends to be with traditional wet flies and I have had more success with brownies than rainbows.  :shock:

Dutchfly

Re: Fishing Books
« Reply #4 on: 24/07/2007 at 19:08 »
Time to revive this old topic :z7

An excellent book I recently got, is 'Upriver and Downstream.' It gathers seventy columns about fishing, written for the New York Times. Writers include Ernest Schwiebert, Nick Lyons and Dave Taft amongst others I've never heard of before.

Very well written, I recommend this book to everyone!

Passion for Pike is the second book I've read recently. Nice one. Ad Swier as we've known him for years. If you don't like his kind of humour, don't worry: some dutchfolk can't stand him either...

CU

Jeroen

Jay Scott

Re: Fishing Books
« Reply #5 on: 24/07/2007 at 20:52 »

Has anybody red " Some of it was fun " by Hugh Falkus? any good?

Thanks, Jay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com