Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Sparton bladders
« on: 03/07/2011 at 20:16 »
No not something Gerard Butler complained about after ten pints, but the upgrade.
My tube has one flaw in that I just cannot trust the one main air bag (not the wife). On Beannich recently it was always on my mind that, in a big wave and a long way from shore, if it popped then I could be in one of those situations that I used to do in my youth,but try to avoid these days.
So has anyone upgraded their bladders (ooh, err missus) on an old tube? Does anyone else know that this service is available from that fine purveyor of tubes in the UK? Who has £70 to try before I buy?
I have a plan for the Oktober this winter that involves three bladders, surgery, and a needle and thread (possibly a lighter too) but I just need to know if anyone else has had the same thought.

Over to you chaps.

:z1

Jim Eddie

Re: Sparton bladders
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/2011 at 20:30 »
Euan

Never availed myself of his services, but I beileve the afore mentioned Mr Parton will make baldders for any tube (no pun intended )  :wink

http://www.sexyloops.com/sparton/index.shtml

:z18

Jim

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2011 at 20:50 »
Indeed he will my lightsabre wielding friend. But has anyone done it yet?
They look very space age and stylish with proper inflation valves and everything.
I'll probably do this and document it for others following my madness.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2011 at 10:59 »
Better/new bladders is something I would consider for my Caddis Navigator II, like the tube and have no intention of buying anything else (except another one) as it suits me fine and is probably the best big water tube I've used.
Will have a squint at Mr Partons site and see what's what.
However, I do need new flippers first - my snowbee flippers detonated on the Assynt trip :z10

:z3

PDScott

« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2011 at 11:18 »
Euan,
I sent Steve Parton an email when I considered changing the bladders in my old Orvis tube. He said that it would be cheaper to buy a new Shakespeare (not available now) than have bladders made. This may give you some idea of the price involved.
Peter

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 04/07/2011 at 12:11 »
This is the link from Steve Partons web site, prices (if current ) look reasonable. Best be quick though I heard he was retiring.

http://www.spartonfly.co.uk/Float_Tubing/float_tubing.html

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 04/07/2011 at 12:14 »
Euan,
I decided to upgrade the shakey bladders to Steves' own brand a year or so ago and after discussing the issue with him directly he advised that the yellow shakeys' were as good as you get - I can't remember the exact ins and outs of it but I'm sure a call directly to him will retell the story.

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #7 on: 04/07/2011 at 12:33 »
Thanks everyone.
Looks like I'll have to give him a bell to see what he can do. when I find out I'll let you all know.

Euan Innes

« Reply #8 on: 19/07/2011 at 13:41 »
Just spoke to Mr Parton and he told me that he is no longer making bladders for tubes.
In fact he offered me the bladder making machine for a couple of grand with a lesson thrown in!
So no more triple bladders, but a possible side line for someone with an interest and some spare cash.
Any takers?

buzzerman

« Reply #9 on: 19/07/2011 at 15:32 »
Hi if you are after a reliable bladder replacement try:-

Gemini Marine Industries Ltd.
(Replacement Bladders)
RENA House
Wharf Street
Sutton Bridge
Lincolnshire
PE12 9UF

Tel: 01406 350 572

I'am a member of the BFTA and know several members who have had bladders made from here and they all speak very highly of them and are still using them after several years.

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 19/07/2011 at 15:36 »
Thanks Buzzerman, I'll look into that.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com