Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Scottish Game Fair
« on: 30/06/2011 at 17:48 »
I'm heading down to Scone for the Scottish Game Fair this weekend - I'll be 'helping out' on the Orvis stand over the weekend. First year Orvis have had a 'proper' stand at Scone, so it should be good  :cool:

Now normally I wouldn't indulge in any 'advertising' but having just spoken with a very 'animated' Ben it seems there's some really cool stuff at substantially discounted prices on the Orvis stand - rods, reels, lines, some fly tying stuff and lots of other goodies. I bagsy first dibs...... but my pockets aren't all that deep so there will be plenty left for others :wink

Hope to see some of the forum members on the stand over the next three days :z16

:z3

Matt Henderson

Re: Scottish Game Fair
« Reply #1 on: 30/06/2011 at 18:01 »
I'm hoping to drop by on sunday but the wife may veto that plan!

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 30/06/2011 at 18:09 »
I'll be demonstrating fly tying on the GAIA stand on sunday, so I'll pop over H. if anyone wants a chat or tying tips come over and have a bleather.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 01/07/2011 at 13:54 »
Casting work for me Sat morning Hamish so i'll pop over soon as i get a chance.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 01/07/2011 at 23:09 »
Iain would you like me to pick up any tweed pattern ned style wading jackets for you?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 02/07/2011 at 00:30 »
Are you allowed out Matt? :shock
I thought her indoors would have you baking for the WRVS, soft lad!  :z7

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 03/07/2011 at 12:30 »
At last I plucked up enough courage to purchase a HMH tubefly tool thingy.

Seen Andrew Toft throwing serious distances with the doublehander

Only downside was the hassle from the Two Ronnies on the Orvis stand.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #7 on: 03/07/2011 at 18:18 »
So Ben and Hamish was it a success?

I was at a wedding on Saturday in Glasgow and had planned with the wife to swing by the Game Fair on the way home to break the journey.  However a phone call at 0630 advising me that a relative had taken a turn for the worse.  Meant we came straight back up the road without stopping  :z6  Still some things are more important than fishing (not very many though!)

Euan Innes

« Reply #8 on: 03/07/2011 at 19:51 »
Two Ronnies  :z16
And it's a good cast from me, and a good cast from him!

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 04/07/2011 at 10:45 »
It was hot - damn hot -  and dusty. Now that's nice if you're in the desert with the right gear but somehow it doesn't work at a Scottish Game Fair :! I'm still trying to get all the dust and grime out of all my gear, I shudder to think how long it'll take Ben to clear up all the fittings and stuff we took down back at the shop.
However it was pretty good, nice to see some new faces doing casting demonstrations (Jim Fearn, Scott Mackenzie etc), fly tying (Peter!) and in general I thought fishermans row was better this year than the last two years, although the Orvis tent could have been better placed and the fishing side of the event is still not quite what it was a decade ago.
Unfortunately there was the usual hassle from the occasional muppet on the stand, one goolager being a notorious pain in the backside. He has a strange affliction which forces him to 'fondle' reels, fortunately his nurse was there and medicated him before he did any reel damage :wink
Got the chance to try some new lines (there's an Airflo line I'm liking hugely) and catch up with a few worthy souls from the stand holders for a few mild ales of an evening.
All in a good three days - I'll be back again :cool:
:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 05/07/2011 at 00:23 »
Good to see a few forum members there, was a good show this year.  Change of organisation in the fishing section which was both good & bad, some different demonstrators had been needed for a long time, this year we had Scott Mackenzie,

Andy Toft,

Jim Fearn,

Ian Gordon & Jim Tomlinson and I feel this freshened things up a bit. 

Flytying demonstration at fishing control tent this year was a new thing and most interesting, our own Rabbitangler gave a great presentation on the use of modern liquid fixatives in flytying, something I thought I'd never see.

Orvis had a retail stand for the first time at the show which was good fun if a little hot & dusty at times.  These events always bring a good spread of intersting customers including those who'll come and drink your coffee and still buy nowt (Gaylager, I'm pointing no fingers)  :z4

The more observant may notice someone familiar lightening someones wallet at the back of the first pic,

Fishermans row was still thin, hopefully there weill be a few more retailers next year.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 05/07/2011 at 03:21 »
Two Ronnies  :z16
And it's a good cast from me, and a good cast from him!

:z1
:z4 :z4

I can tell you've fished with them before  :z4 :z4

looking forward to making next years fair :z16
I do miss doing stuff like that.

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 05/07/2011 at 08:35 »

Flytying demonstration at fishing control tent this year was a new thing and most interesting, our own Rabbitangler gave a great presentation on the use of modern liquid fixatives in flytying, something I thought I'd never see.

Your just jealous cos you can't whip finish :wink  Modern fixatives rool ok  :z4 :z4 :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 05/07/2011 at 16:31 »
Your just jealous cos you can't whip finish :wink  Modern fixatives rool ok  :z4 :z4 :z4

Yup, two half hitches and a bit of super glue / cement everytime, glad you're seeing the light  :z4

Ben

Allan Liddle

« Reply #14 on: 05/07/2011 at 17:09 »
Enjoyed the show and keen to stay / help out longer next year.

Liquid fixatives?  Ahh for those that can't work the whip finish tool. :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com