Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Synfoil Fry?
« on: 23/06/2011 at 17:50 »
Hi folks :cool:

I've had an email from George in Stornoway and I haven't heard of this fly :roll Can anybody help?

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike

I am looking for help in finding an old style fly called “Synfoil Fry”.
Do you or any of your friends know where I can buy or have them tied.
I am an elderly man living in Stornoway and am down to my last one which I purchased some twenty years ago!!

Jim Eddie

Re: Synfoil Fry?
« Reply #1 on: 23/06/2011 at 18:30 »
Sorry Mike never heard of it. Perhaps George could send a picture and some  of the talented tiers on the forum couls tie some up for him.

:z18

Jim

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 23/06/2011 at 20:06 »
 I have heard of it I think it may be one of Bucknalls patterns, it should be Googleable on one of the fly databases, one of the early patterns using synthetic foil, If I find a pattern I will post it, easgach 1

gunner100

« Reply #3 on: 23/06/2011 at 20:20 »
Is this the fly?

http://www.fish4flies.com/Lures/Fry_and_Small_Fish_Patterns/Sinfoil's_Fry

Googled sinfoil not synfoil and came up with the above.

Lyall

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 23/06/2011 at 20:54 »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 23/06/2011 at 22:33 »
Great stuff guys :z16

I put a link to this in my reply to George, so he will hopefully read it and get some flies!

Best wishes
Mike

adambrain

« Reply #6 on: 24/06/2011 at 08:40 »
It's just like a hairy Okey Dokie

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 24/06/2011 at 08:49 »
Pretty sure the origional body was clear plastic powder heated then the hook was dipped in or it may have been the hook heated & dipped like in polythene dip coating..... a bit like dip cote plastic noe which is done cold. nowadays.... epoxy.... hard as nails.... bug bond????

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 24/06/2011 at 09:34 »
Just back from a few days in Assynt....  :cool:
I used Sinfoils Fry Fly at Bewl Water many years ago, have tied a few in my time too. Think Ken Sinfoil was a bailiff at Bewl, but that's testing the old grey cells a bit.
Great when pin fry are around, simple and effective pattern but largely consigned to the dark corners of most fly boxes these days.
:z3

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 24/06/2011 at 19:55 »
The pattern is in Veniards 500 fly patterns
 underbody:- flat silver tinsel
overbody:- polythene strip
throat :- scarlet floss silk
 Back:- the bad side of the brown mallard feather
 Head:- black tying silk
 the illustration shows the lure with eyes,easgach1

Andy Wren

« Reply #10 on: 26/06/2011 at 07:57 »
Ken sinfoil was indeed bailiff at Bewl ,think the pattern was first brought to the wider public in brian harriss's  Angling magazine ,
At the time it was seen as a variant on Dick walkers poly stickle ,body construction very similar ,silver and red throat with stretched clear polythene .

Allan Liddle

« Reply #11 on: 27/06/2011 at 10:35 »
Sorry i didn't pick up on this one earlier.

Easgach's nailed the pattern and Hamish / ACW the history.  Devised for pin fry feeding bows.  If you sub the poly srip for epoxy then you get more weight (if you need it) and a different action.  Another variation is to use white floss under the polythene which lets you colour it with a panetone pen.

Andy Wren

« Reply #12 on: 28/06/2011 at 20:37 »
A varient with a teal blue hackle and painted eyes was a killer for west country estuary sea trout ,back in the day when I worked in a tackle shop I dressed 4 dozen of the fiddly barstewards,still have a couple with the wonky eyes i could not give to the guy that ordered them .
Painted varnish eyes were a dam fiddle
big white blob
smaller yellow blob and the a red dot
3 coats of varnish on top of that , all for peanuts!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com