Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bryan

Raymoir.
« on: 19/06/2011 at 19:47 »
I went to Raymoir yesterday, yes in all that rain.
 I put in to pratice all that I have read about fly fishing. Delighted to say that my casting has improved by miles.
So with the wind behind me I stood and casted over and over, it was not untill after I reconsiderd the fly I was useing, it all started happening........

Casting over the spots where the fish were breaking the surface, I caught a nice 2,3/4 pound and a 1,1/4 pound rainbow trout.
 The rain meant nothing then.
My Abu garcia rod did get a workout with that first fish, but every time I have used that rod I have either caught or had a "fish on" situation, I starting to really trust this very inexspensive peice of equipment!!!!!!!

This all took place in the small Top Loch, I still feel that fishing in the larger lochs is too daunting for me with my limited abilitys. perhaps next time.

Peter McCallum

Re: Raymoir.
« Reply #1 on: 19/06/2011 at 20:07 »
well done  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2011 at 22:10 »
Sounds like you are feeling a sense of progress Bryan  :z16 It's great when it all comes together.

starting to really trust this very inexspensive peice of equipment!!!!!!!

Bryan, forget about the price tag as the rod will handle anything you throw at it - your train of thought about casting with the wind behind will give better presentation, changing flies to suit situations and casting at feeding fish are far more important to success.

Don't be overawed by the size of the larger pond as although there are always going to be feeding fish outwith your casting range there will be at least as many trout in the first 10 - 15' from the bank.

nice one.

Iain

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 19/06/2011 at 22:58 »

Don't be overawed by the size of the larger pond as although there are always going to be feeding fish outwith your casting range there will be at least as many trout in the first 10 - 15' from the bank.

Probably the majority of the fish are near the bank....if they don't get disturbed........... so first on the water with a degree of stealth will often do well. during the day a quiet approach will often work too so concentrate on the fish within your casting range and let others head for the other bank.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com