Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Matching the hatch!
« on: 25/02/2007 at 21:46 »
How do i find out which flies are most common in each month of the year!

Some magazines state bloodworms and lures in winter and buzzers and dries in summer. Is there any way of finding out what fish eat through out the year?. I mainly fish buzzers all year and they seam to like them but is there something else i should be trying?

Any help would be mostly appreciated.

Sandy Nelson

Matching the hatch!
« Reply #1 on: 26/02/2007 at 20:16 »
Baz

Hard question this one, especially for stillwaters.
Flies can be quite localised, depends on your local waters.
Most rough guides are only that, effective though.

I dont think i can accuratley answer this one, not like the river.

Unless fishing a red hook from november to april and GPP/BPP spiders from may to october. A couple of HE F-Flies for risers and damsels all year round Counts as hatches :z4

Buzzers hatch all year round, they just vary in size and colour, check out the cobwebs at the stillwaters on a morning for a leg up as to what colour and size to use.

Any upwings (mayfly type) are likely to be Pond olives they hatch for months on some waters and only occasionally on others.

Damsels are there all year, they get bigger and darker as the year goes on.

Corixa are there all year and they go from yellowish to white as the year goes on, they get a touch bigger too.

Sedges are usually during the summer months, various colours and sizes but orange/yellow pupae are the norm.

Caenis small and white on a  summer night, will cover you like Large dandruff. Muddlers are the best cure, or sugar cube shipmans made to POP!

They are the general ones.

hope it helps a little :z6

Sandy

Tam Greenock

Matching the hatch!
« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2007 at 11:01 »
Caenis  :mad:

Barry Robertson

Matching the hatch!
« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2007 at 14:01 »
A small small Caenis is deadly right enough!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com