Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Watson

Loch Tay Near Killin
« on: 16/06/2011 at 20:00 »
                Loch Tay. Has anyone fished here before ? Any info on tackle, fly, spinning, bait, would be a big help to us.As far as I know it will be boat fishing which is new to me, I have been told that there is pike there. Again a fish I have never tried for so any info on types of tackle and bait would be a great help

Hamish Young

Re: Loch Tay Near Killin
« Reply #1 on: 17/06/2011 at 22:06 »
It would take a good book to answer those questions.
Might be useful to say what you'd like to go fish for......
:z3

James Abel

« Reply #2 on: 18/06/2011 at 05:56 »
I have stayed at loch tay 3 times trawling in the boats is the only thing i seen work .The last year i was there a guy in a shally told me he fished it for 20 years he owns a time share he managed 1 3lb brown trout and said i was wasting my time . I blanked every day tried sweet corn worms and trawling one day i saw a guy on na boat trawling catch something Good luck James  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 18/06/2011 at 09:29 »
Trawling  :? :!
I suddenly have a vision of a bloody great trawler with a purse seine net landing all the fish in the Loch  :shock
Trolling - yup.
For three years (ahem..... 20+ years ago) I fished for one week a year on Loch Tay in the early months of the season at the Kenmore end. I haven't fished the Killin end.
There were issues with escapee rainbows from the fish farm back then (may still be so today.... I dunno  :z8) but to be fair I had a few cracking big 'bows when trolling after Salmon. In my experience trolling is the most prolific/preferred method on Loch Tay, but back then I also had some fun with decent (to 2lb-ish) Brown Trout on the fly - although in fairness three to the pound sized fish were more common.
They are there to be caught but not many folk bothered back in 'my days' on Loch Tay..... pity really.
:z3

Andy Macbog

« Reply #4 on: 24/06/2011 at 11:53 »
To be honest,

I would ignore the loch and go for a sesh or two on the Lochay or Lyon Rivers.  Both are very good and the lower Lyon is especially so if you like fishing a dry on flat water with the chance of a very good fish or two.  Most of the Lochay and the Upper Lyon have excellent pocket water that often turns up a very nice fish or two amongst the usual run of wee broons which are of a good average size.  They both flow over the same mica schist that supports Ben Lawers' famous flora so there is plenty of plant growth supporting the inverts and consequently, good feeding for the trout.

You know it makes sense . . .

A

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com