Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Loch Leven
« on: 13/06/2011 at 20:59 »
Well it was up at 05:30, bit of breakfast, then on to Cruden Bay to meet David Moir (he was driving) Left about 06:30, managed to get across Aberdeen and Dundee without being held up by the traffic, thick fog and persistent drizzle all the way down.
Arrived at Leven about 08:45, rain had stopped, slight breeze so conditions looked perfect, hopes were high. These were soon dashed by the boatman who was advising everyone not to venture to far up the loch as high winds were due.  He advised that anchoring up and fishing buzzers was working, but hatches had been pretty sporadic this year.
Now Leven is a big loch 4000acres so you really have to put in the time if you want to be successful, we come down once a year in hope rather than expecting any great success. Anyway we heeded his advice and turned right when we came out of the harbour there was bit of shelter from the wind with the trees along that bank we drifted up towards Castle Island. , Wind got up as the day went on and not having a drogue we were drifting to fast when we got out into the open, it was not to bad though.
No success in the morning  I had one tug , after lunch we tried the corner to the left of the harbour  , David had a fish on , unfortunately it was a small Pike, never mind it was Davids first Pike on the fly.
Back to the right hand side of the harbour, changed my flies to Black Pennell on the point and a Bibbio on the dropper (ok they were straggle fritz) almost first cast, I’m into a nice fish, it go’s airborne but I manage to get it into the boat, photographed and safely returned. Half an hour later, a savage take, hearts in my mouth this is a big fish! Disappointment as it comes into view , it’s a 6lb Rainbow, lost it at the boat, would have been really gutted if it had been a Brown. I’m not sure how long ago it was that they stopped stocking Leven with Bow, but the Boatman was dubious that it was a Rainbow. Never mind, not a prolific day but we enjoyed it all the same.
Of the 7 club members of my club only 1 other fish taken. However one local guy had returned 17, so the fish are there.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

Re: Loch Leven
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2011 at 21:14 »
Looked like a braw day for the Di7 and a drouge jim, at least you got some sport anyway!
Is that a yellow dancer i see hanging out that pikes mouth  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
Nice wee report anyhow  :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2011 at 21:46 »
Nice report Jim and glad you got some action. I read recently of someone else catching a rainbow there this year.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 13/06/2011 at 22:22 »
Nice one Jim  :z16

Pity about the Rainbow  :z6 & not having a drogue would have been a handicap today.  :cry

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 13/06/2011 at 22:28 »
I'm amazed people are landing Pike without wire traces?!? Nice work on the brown and it's a shame about the rainbow.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 15/06/2011 at 12:46 »
Great stuff Jim :z16

Are those new boats?

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 15/06/2011 at 19:12 »
Mike

Yes that was one of the new fibreglass boats , I think they had replaced about 4 of the old wooden boats.

:z18

Jim

flybox

« Reply #7 on: 18/06/2011 at 23:34 »
Hi guys,
Leven are slowly adding back to the fleet and are now up to 17 boats. The new additions are Rutland style boats, which are very good but not Leven boats! Mike, can we swap back?!!! The Loch has been superb all season again and when you get conditions and know were to go, it is phenomenal. My friends were out on Wednesday and landed 26 all on buzzers at North Quiech mouth. Leven is slowly returning to the best water out there, just needs time and we will be back!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com