Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Howard & Stuart

Big week at Lochter Fishery
« on: 13/06/2011 at 13:39 »
It has been a busy week at the Oldmeldrum fishery as it  played host to the Macmillan Cancer Care Big Fish Competition on Saturday and the Scottish National Stillwater Championship Final organised by SANA, on Sunday.
The Macmillan event raised the excellent sum of £3055 for the charity with the prize for raising the most cash going to Ronnie Cowie with £770 closely followed by Ian Hamilton with £766, while Stuart Aird won the prize for the biggest fish with a nice specimen of 11lbs 4oz.Well done and thank you to all the fishers who supported the event.
Four tagged fish had been released in the loch and anglers who were lucky enough to catch one had a chance of winning £500,£300,£200 or nothing. Two tagged fish were hooked and almost landed before Gary Sutherland hooked and landed one with a blue tag and when the envelope was opened cheers rang out especially from Gary when he found it was worth £300.
On Sunday anglers from all over Scotland assembled for the National Stillwater Final. They had all  qualified at heats prior and included some of the top anglers in the land. The prize was a place in the Scottish team for the International event to be held later in the year in County Claire, Ireland.
Fifty one anglers took part and two hundred and eleven fish were caught and released. When the points were tallied the winner and Scottish Champion was  Stuart McCormick from Ayr who had eleven fish. Other anglers who qualified for the team were John Morton, Kenny Hunter, Alec Bowler, Ewen Miller, Andrew Barrowman, and  Richard McHattie.The latter two are both local anglers.
All anglers whether winners or losers had a great day, the fishing was suitably testing, the weather was kind and the reputation of angling in the North East considerably enhanced. The team now  go forward with confidence and the best wishes of all to Ireland in October.
Earlier in the week the fishing was as mixed as the weather. Terry Daniels from Ythanbank had a fine day with thirteen mainly on hoppers and visiting angler Mike Blackwood from Galashiels had a dozen on  white minkie and buzzers.J Parsons netted nine using a black and green frazzle while Kevin Martin stuck to the WSW and banked twelve.
Prospects are excellent with continued changeable weather keeping the fish alert.
HH   13/06/11

Noel Kelly

Re: Big week at Lochter Fishery
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2011 at 16:58 »
What's this competition in Co Clare? Any more info would be interesting.  I'm originally from there. Must be lough Derg I'm guessing?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2011 at 18:45 »
Been thinking more about this and it doesn't make any sense. There are no fisheries stocked with rainbows in Co Clare that I know of. Certainly none that could host an International competition. It cant be for brownies if its in October. You must have the wrong County? 

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2011 at 18:35 »
Been thinking more about this and it doesn't make any sense. There are no fisheries stocked with rainbows in Co Clare that I know of. Certainly none that could host an International competition. It cant be for brownies if its in October. You must have the wrong County? 

Noel could it be Kilkee Reservoir ?

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2011 at 18:53 »
Jim,
I had forgotten about that place and I can now think of a few other lough's that are stocked with rainbows. Cant see it being any of them though. Looking on Google found mention of an International bank competition being held in October near Killarney which is in Co Kerry so maybe that's it :z8
How do you know Kilkee reservoir anyway? I haven't ever fished it.     

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2011 at 19:07 »
Jim,
I had forgotten about that place and I can now think of a few other lough's that are stocked with rainbows. Cant see it being any of them though. Looking on Google found mention of an International bank competition being held in October near Killarney which is in Co Kerry so maybe that's it :z8
How do you know Kilkee reservoir anyway? I haven't ever fished it.    

Noel
As one of the young guns at work says I'm a hive of useless information  :wink

http://www.fishing.westclare.net/fishinglakes.htm

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2011 at 19:15 »
A web ferret! Those places on that link are all my local spots at home. A few are just miles from the home farm :cry

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 14/06/2011 at 19:43 »
A web ferret! Those places on that link are all my local spots at home.

Yeah, and your other local haunts can be viewed at www.leatherscooterboy.co.claire

:z7

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 14/06/2011 at 20:54 »
You wish. Right it's river time :grin

Howard & Stuart

« Reply #9 on: 20/06/2011 at 13:22 »
The final of the International Bank Fishing Competition will be held at Bar Finnihy Lake in County Kerry.
Obviously geography is not one of our strong points! :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com