Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

River Ury
« on: 05/06/2011 at 17:30 »
Would like to give the River Ury a go sometime soon (mid June). Does anyone have any experience on the river, e.g flies, best times, most productive stretch? Also where can permits be purchased from? Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Andy Finlay

Re: River Ury
« Reply #1 on: 05/06/2011 at 18:54 »
I'm pretty sure you can get permits from Sloans as the Urie is covered by the same permit as the Inverurie beat of the Don. Can't help you with where to fish though, only been there a couple of timesand that was from the grave yeard down to the meeting with the don.

Iain Goolager

Re: River Ury
« Reply #2 on: 05/06/2011 at 19:54 »
Young one,

The Urie can be difficult to fish especially in high summer where often the bankside vegetation is 1 foot higher than your head (depending where you go) :wink also being narrow and often awkward to negotiate stealthy fishing can be tough. It is very deep in places and also has many sections of muddy bottom so wading is a no-no on most of it but essential when fishing my favourite pool.
Try the 'Klink and Dink' method. Black Klink with a hi viz wing post and an olive nymph, Hares' Ear or PTN dropped of its' tail. I found this good for either dropping behind or between weedbeds.
Obviously upstream dry fly, again Sedges, Olives, Beetles, whatever is interesting the trout.
Down and across wets, spiders, nymphs can be done effectively on a few sections of the river.

Hard work but there are decent fish there.

Have to go

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com