Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

wildfisher

AFTM rating for Brown Trout on Don
« Reply #15 on: 24/02/2007 at 19:07 »
Emerger, I am not saying no one is interested  in you choice of gear, but you do seem to be going to great lengths to justify your choice. All I am saying is you don't have to do that – your choice is your business what anyone else thinks about it does not matter.  I think you will also find that most anglers on this forum have, over the years,  fished with every rod weight from 1 to 10 so they know the score. They have just made their choices as you have yours.  It does not matter. Often these things are driven by fashion. In the 1960's glass #6 weights were the preferred  "all round" rod in the circles in which I fished. The 80 and 90's saw the emergence of the barge pole and until recently you could not get a 10 foot 4 or 5 for love nor money (well, maybe not money!).

Fish with what you like best. Vive la difference!

Jim Doyle

« Reply #16 on: 24/02/2007 at 20:08 »
Sorry wild fisher dont want to be contrversial but 10ft 4 and 5 wt rods have been around for years. Hardy did a 10ft 5 wt a good 20years ago. There were other rods about but you had to look. For those stick men amongst you there were wooden rods made by clan and your own sharpes, not that it matters, I,m the same everyone to their own , but if anyone wants to go down the tackle tart route the loomis glx range is hard to beat, if somewhat expensive. For anyone wishing to try one I will happily bring mine to haddo and you can try mine.    jim

wildfisher

« Reply #17 on: 24/02/2007 at 20:37 »
Quote from: "j doyle"
Sorry wild fisher dont want to be contrversial but 10ft 4 and 5 wt rods have been around for years.

You are not being. You are correct, but they are now more common and more affordable than ever  Even the cheaper  manufactures like Snowbee  are making them, bringing them into the price range of the more "skint"  angler.  Only a  few years ago Mike was told by a manufacturer  that no one wanted #4  #5 10 foot rods   and so  for that reason they did would  make them. Now they do.   It's funny how things change.

Barry Robertson

/
« Reply #18 on: 24/02/2007 at 21:54 »
As far as rods go i dont think i could fish anything heavier than a 5 wt now. After using  my new little tool the 0 wt even a 5 wt feels heavy these days. Its not realy going any where debating which  wt is best to use as iam sure 2 good anglers could catch on anything?. I agree with everyone who says its whatever makes the person comfortable and confident.

Remember a good indian never blames his arrows!

:wink:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com