Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

cassette salmon reel
« on: 30/05/2011 at 15:12 »
Say I was after a new salmon reel and I was looking for a cassette one hopefully with the reel and say three or four spare spools/cassettes which one would people recommend?

I have the GRxi+ and it appears to have fallen off the Greys product line.

cheers

Matt  :z16

Jim Eddie

Re: cassette salmon reel
« Reply #1 on: 30/05/2011 at 19:56 »
Matt

Vision do a cassette reel in Salmon size, not heard any reports on it.

http://www.fawcettsonline.com/products/Vision-Koma-Kassette-%2310%7B47%7D11-Reel.html

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 31/05/2011 at 10:33 »
Snowbee XSD1112 would be worth a look as I like that particular Snowbee reel but (and I'm not being funny, it's a genuine query) why go for a cassette reel in the first place :? Are there any real world advantages over a conventional reel and spools :?
For salmon fishing I've not seen a situation yet where I've felt that a cassette reel offers any advantage over a conventional reel and spool(s).

:z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 31/05/2011 at 11:08 »
why go for a cassette reel in the first place :? Are there any real world advantages over a conventional reel and spools :?
For salmon fishing I've not seen a situation yet where I've felt that a cassette reel offers any advantage over a conventional reel and spool(s).

:z3

Hamish,

mostly because I'm tight, and feel physically sick at the idea of spending a few hundred quid on a reel and then having to spend a hundred quid a throw spare spools.  Also being ultra tight if I cna use the same reel for my 15ft rod and 13ft rod then so much the better, already I've got a floating line, sinking line, shooting heads, and can see another floating line for the 13fter. 

Hardy Demon looks nice...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com