Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Matt Henderson

cassette salmon reel
« on: May 30, 2011, 15:12:20 PM »
Say I was after a new salmon reel and I was looking for a cassette one hopefully with the reel and say three or four spare spools/cassettes which one would people recommend?

I have the GRxi+ and it appears to have fallen off the Greys product line.

cheers

Matt  :z16

Jim Eddie

Re: cassette salmon reel
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 19:56:03 PM »
Matt

Vision do a cassette reel in Salmon size, not heard any reports on it.

http://www.fawcettsonline.com/products/Vision-Koma-Kassette-%2310%7B47%7D11-Reel.html

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
Snowbee XSD1112 would be worth a look as I like that particular Snowbee reel but (and I'm not being funny, it's a genuine query) why go for a cassette reel in the first place :? Are there any real world advantages over a conventional reel and spools :?
For salmon fishing I've not seen a situation yet where I've felt that a cassette reel offers any advantage over a conventional reel and spool(s).

:z3

“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
why go for a cassette reel in the first place :? Are there any real world advantages over a conventional reel and spools :?
For salmon fishing I've not seen a situation yet where I've felt that a cassette reel offers any advantage over a conventional reel and spool(s).

:z3

Hamish,

mostly because I'm tight, and feel physically sick at the idea of spending a few hundred quid on a reel and then having to spend a hundred quid a throw spare spools.  Also being ultra tight if I cna use the same reel for my 15ft rod and 13ft rod then so much the better, already I've got a floating line, sinking line, shooting heads, and can see another floating line for the 13fter. 

Hardy Demon looks nice...

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum