Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Howard & Stuart

Lochter Trout Active in Mixed Weather.
« on: 30/05/2011 at 13:52 »
                     When you read the “weather conditions” column of the fishery record at Lochter Fishery Oldmeldrum  for the past week the reports include “Gales”, “Fair”, “Baltic” and “Lovely”.
These show the wide variation of conditions experienced by anglers.Tactics had therefore to be varied greatly to keep the takes coming.
During the more settled spells there were big buzzer hatches and anglers who used their artificial imitations did well. Denny and Gordy Mackay had twenty eight between them ,Harry Ken had ten, C McPhee seventeen, A Findlay nine and J Donaldson had an exceptionally fine day with twenty one to his name .
At the times when the weather was far from “lovely” and it was hard to keep a fly on the water, anglers switched to intermediate lines and lures with continued success.
Kevin Martin had seventeen on WSW`s fished in a gale and D Simpson ten on WSW`s and a Bunny leech including one at 11lbs plus returned.
Other flies that worked well included Bloodworms ,Kate Mclaren  and traditional wets pulled through the waves.
Up and coming events at Lochter include the next heat of the EM Diagnostics Summer League on Sunday 5th June and the Macmillan Cancer Support Big Fish Competition on Sunday 11th June. Anglers are reminded that this is a most worthwhile cause and well worthy of their support.Entry forms can be obtained from Lochter or phone 01651872787 or 01561872000                
         HH 30/05/11          
 :z15

wiremill

Re: Lochter Trout Active in Mixed Weather.
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2011 at 15:20 »
Hi folks.

First post on here and I'm afraid I'm after some info. I'm coming up to Lochter in the next week or so and I'm really looking forward to it and this report sounds like it could be a good day.

Can anyone offer any further info on what I should be tying up? Buzzers sound like they're doing well, can anyone expand on this re colour, sizes please.  I'm happy with tying up lures and wets, but a hint about the buzzers would be much appreciated.

Happy to receive a PM if that suits folk better.

Cheers

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 01/06/2011 at 22:04 »
Hi ......... "WIREMILL"
Welcome to the forum :z16

I can't be of much help with this I'm afraid, as I don't think I've fished at Lochter since I opened Haddo, you don't get out fishing much when you own a fishery :oops

If Haddo is anything to go by recently, the fish have had a liking for black buzzers with silver or pearl fine ribbing and the main thorax trigger colours have been lime, orange and red. I think size 14 to 16 have possibly been the best sizes and perhaps size 12. Olive buzzers in a similar dressing have worked well too and over the past couple of weeks a small black Shipmans has been worth a try.

Best wishes
Mike

wiremill

« Reply #3 on: 02/06/2011 at 08:16 »
Thanks for that Mike. I'll get something similar tied up and give them a swim at Lochter.

:z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 02/06/2011 at 09:58 »
Hi woollen mill  :z16

these have always worked there for me in the past

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2552.0

Iain

wiremill

« Reply #5 on: 03/06/2011 at 10:18 »
Thanks for that Ian. That's very close to a pattern I use already but I'll certainly tie a few of those up.

Cheers

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com