Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ryan

new rod
« on: 26/05/2011 at 19:12 »
Hi guys looking to buy a new rod this month after i get home from offshore thinking of spending in the £80 to £90 region mostly do still water fishing all lines are between a 7 and 9 weight any ideas an info would be welcome cheers :z18

Jim Eddie

Re: new rod
« Reply #1 on: 27/05/2011 at 13:28 »
Ryan

At 7-9 I would say you are over gunned for still water fishing , however the Airflo delta is not a bad rod in your price range

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly-rods/airflo-delta-classic-trout-and-salmon-rod/40/no/44102

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 27/05/2011 at 21:11 »
 Hi Ryan,
                I would second that from Jim.

The AirFlo stuff has improved no end over the years and these rods are no exception.

The early lines had a very bad reputation which has kind of  affected the reputation of all of their gear but their lines  have improved out of sight also . Try out their "Supple" lines .It's good gear .

Personally I would go for a 9 1/2 ft 6/7 wt , sufficient poke to deal with windy days but also sensitive enough to fish nymphs and dries too.

And no I am not an Airflo agent . :wink

Paul.

ryan

« Reply #3 on: 28/05/2011 at 01:30 »
Cheers lads already got an airflo floating line my mate has a rod and cant see past it so i might just go for it reason for a new rod is i found a crack in my old 1 think it might break soon  :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 28/05/2011 at 02:16 »
Ryan

I'd agree with Paul on that 91/2 for a 6 is the way to fish a small Stillwater
Greys GS are worth seeking out as well
and try to get an outcast 6 floater in the budget too.
If you hunt a good price on the rod then you could get the line too and change your basic outfit
for something a little more fun.

Cheer

sandy

Andy Finlay

« Reply #5 on: 28/05/2011 at 09:29 »
A bit more than you planned but not a bad price for a full package, and the rods are supposed to be pretty good.

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/sonik-sk3-fly-rods-with-free-sk3-reel-flyline--backing-4567-p.asp

jpm75

« Reply #6 on: 28/05/2011 at 09:37 »
If you wanted to spend a little more on a rod, Greys have discontinued some of their rods like the stream flex, grxi or the grey flex for eg slightly more than your looking to spend but the rods are quality. Also the greys platinum fly lines are really good lines. Regards John.

Quickcast 84

« Reply #7 on: 28/05/2011 at 23:30 »
hi ryan,i agree with andy.the sk3 range in my opinion is flawless.i bought a 10ft 5-6wt sk3 rod,sk3reel,3 spare spools loaded with(sk3 float,int,sink loaded) it tackles all conditions and is a very powerfull rod,it will take anything you throw at it,and very easy to put where you want it to go.these rods are designed and tested by former greys chiefs! SO THEY ARE GOOD
p.s when you taking me to logie????? darren  :z18

ryan

« Reply #8 on: 29/05/2011 at 05:22 »
got my new rod airflo off ebay home week wednesday darren so i can take ye out week saturday or sunday if ye want al give you a bell saturday or sunday good deal £120 down to £60 should be in the hoose ny the time i get off cheers for the info guy :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com