Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

jpm75

My first classic salmon fly
« on: 25/05/2011 at 20:49 »

Peter McCallum

Re: My first classic salmon fly
« Reply #1 on: 25/05/2011 at 22:31 »

Nice fly for a first go especially the head, but there are heaps of problems tying these flies the main one being materials. The normal, run of the mill trout & salmon feathers will need a ridiculous amount of sorting to get even a couple of feathers suitable for Fully dressed, so be warned if you're going down this road, it get hideously expensive. :shock

As a critique, and believe me I'm a novice at these flies :oops, the JC usually reaches to the points of the Tail & topping which should meet at their tips. You will need to form the Toppings  round something, a glass for instance, to give them the correct curve. To do this thoroughly wet them in water or spit - good idea to wash them first - then lay them on the outside of the glass in a straight line & let them dry. When dry they will keep their shape nicely  :cool: Also try to keep a single line of black on your tippet wing not easy as i found out doing a 'Megan Boyd' which needed 2 whole heads to get 4 OK feathers for the fly (my fault I used too big a hook).

Here's one I tied for GAIA using their colours.

It's ok but there are a lot of faults in it, splitting JC, wing twist,I had 3 dozen Lady Amhurst feathers to sort to get the 2 feathers for each colour of the wing - see what I mean about expensive? The rest I can probably use on trout flies eventually.

Keep up the good work.

peter

jpm75

« Reply #2 on: 26/05/2011 at 09:12 »
Peter thanks for the advice, when I looked at the fly afterwards and compared it to the picture of the original I realised the jc and tippet wing just wasn't right. There is also some indian crow missing from the tail. I'm sure I'll have some more photos posted when I get my hands on some good materials.
Cheers
John

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 26/05/2011 at 18:38 »
I'm sure I'll have some more photos posted when I get my hands on some good materials.

Enjoy the hunt for them  :z4 :wink

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 26/05/2011 at 19:33 »
try getting hold of eric taveners" tying flies for salmon" classic flies from a classic tier ,easgach1

jpm75

« Reply #5 on: 26/05/2011 at 23:00 »
Thanks, I'll look it up. Also looking for some of Mike Radencich's books.
Regards John.

jpm75

« Reply #6 on: 10/06/2011 at 13:08 »
Here's my second attempt. All critics welcome, as I am still relatively new to classics, so the more I know the better my flies will become.

jimmy r

« Reply #7 on: 10/06/2011 at 13:32 »
classic right enough,i would use that for the grilse runs on the spey any day, its got all the right colours, nice one, :grin

jimmy

jimmy r

« Reply #8 on: 10/06/2011 at 13:53 »
can anyone help ??? i heard of a fly called the ythan terror the hook is in the vice but have not got a pattern for it.

jr

Matt Henderson

« Reply #9 on: 10/06/2011 at 13:53 »
very nice!

Peter McCallum

« Reply #10 on: 10/06/2011 at 18:13 »
nice fly there John :grin :z13

jpm75

« Reply #11 on: 10/06/2011 at 20:11 »
Peter, thanks for your previous advice on the position of the jc wing. Got, Tying the classic salmon fly by Mike Redencich, very good book.
Cheers John.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 10/06/2011 at 20:38 »
Nice flies John, must take a fair time to lash one of them together!
Do you intend on fishing with them?
 :z18
Baz

jpm75

« Reply #13 on: 10/06/2011 at 22:48 »
 Yeah Baz, took me a while. Some quality time at the vice is always good though. Don't think I'll ever fish them. I just enjoy tying them.
 :z18 John.

jpm75

« Reply #14 on: 14/06/2011 at 20:18 »
Just thought Id try a married wing fly. Looking forward to getting some more materials, so I can have a stab at some of the slightly more difficult patterns.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com