Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: New Project Affinity+ DQ 13ft #8/9 4 piece
« Reply #15 on: 14/06/2011 at 07:31 »
There were some questions about the aggressive handle shaping here are a few pics of how it works for me:

Lower hand

Upper hand

And finally the finished article:

What is known as a liars mark/honesty mark in the states, given that the River Don conservation code is that anything over 33" or 14lbs goes back then here is a wee visual reminder (I'm unlikely to ever need).

Specially for Iain

So it was a CTS Affinity DQ+ 13ft #8/9 4 piece.  Hopkins and Holloway hard chrome American pattern snakes, Fuji SiC lined stripping guides, Struble SS reel seat, a mixture of real, composite, burl and rubberised cork for the grip and a wee home made balance system.  Been good fun to build and I'm quite happy with it.  Might have a week off before I start on the next rod. 

Cheers

Matt  :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 14/06/2011 at 07:36 »
It looks really nice Matt :z16

You have way more patience than i have, judging by the wraps :z7
Some rather nice detail touches :wink

Look forward to hearing how it casts :z18

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #17 on: 14/06/2011 at 08:27 »
Very smart looking rod Matt. :z14

You have a lot more patience than me too. I hope you get as much pleasure fishing with it as you obviously did building it.

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 14/06/2011 at 10:14 »
Matt,
I'm at work so can't see your pictures - looking forward to seeing the Bad Boy this evening.

Yours Truly  :-*

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #19 on: 14/06/2011 at 17:56 »
Hi Matt,

Can I give you my honest opinion - being a who has never built a rod.

1) I think some fancy calligraphic transfers would have been a cool touch - didn't Mike post some examples from 'the rod builder'.
2) Would it have been possible to test the rod with various counterweights before the rubberised end cap was glued on? then secure them inside the rubberised cork end cap prior to final glueing? or does the whole handle (cork) have to be glued as a unit? Did the whole bolt go into the handle? that's a bit of boltage! if so could it contact the blank if it were seriously flexed?
3)  :z16 That's some serious finish on the rod though Matster, like the 1,2 & 3 silver open wraps on the top three joints denoting which section it is - I think I'd manage to assemble the rod without those though  :z7 but it just shows your thought, skill & attention to detail.
4) like the Honesty Mark & it would be a nice touch on some trout rods @ say 12" & 20" for example.
5) Lose the fly retainer  ::)

All in all I bet it's nice to fish with and you should be pleased.

All we need now is some water and a run of fish!

Well Done Mat

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #20 on: 14/06/2011 at 19:28 »
Nice Job Matt,

Whippings look sweet, I'm in agreement with Iain about the keeper ring, I hate those things.  Be interested in seeing how that handle on the bottom end feels when casting.  Personally I like quite a thin handle on a DH rod as it allows me to feel the blank more when casting but the picture of your hand wrapped around the lower end looks as if it may work quite well despite it looking like a butt plug.  Serious amount of work gone into that, looking forward to seeing it christend.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #21 on: 14/06/2011 at 19:45 »
despite it looking like a butt plug.  Serious amount of work gone into that, looking forward to seeing it christend.

Please don't invite me to that field test!  :shock

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #22 on: 14/06/2011 at 20:18 »
Hi Matt,

Can I give you my honest opinion - being a who has never built a rod.

1) I think some fancy calligraphic transfers would have been a cool touch - didn't Mike post some examples from 'the rod builder'.
2) Would it have been possible to test the rod with various counterweights before the rubberised end cap was glued on? then secure them inside the rubberised cork end cap prior to final glueing? or does the whole handle (cork) have to be glued as a unit? Did the whole bolt go into the handle? that's a bit of boltage! if so could it contact the blank if it were seriously flexed?
3)  :z16 That's some serious finish on the rod though Matster, like the 1,2 & 3 silver open wraps on the top three joints denoting which section it is - I think I'd manage to assemble the rod without those though  :z7 but it just shows your thought, skill & attention to detail.
4) like the Honesty Mark & it would be a nice touch on some trout rods @ say 12" & 20" for example.
5) Lose the fly retainer  ::)

All in all I bet it's nice to fish with and you should be pleased.

All we need now is some water and a run of fish!

Well Done Mat

Iain

Iain, 

You are entitled to your opinion and you raise a few wee points that I haven't explained very well. 
1.  I prefer to paint it on myself but if one was to go professional then the decals that Catman used on his last builds would definately be the way forward. 
2. The end cap isn't glued on.  It will unscrew to add more or less mass as is required.  And you're right 4" is probably longer than I need.  I plan to get a 2" bolt and trim it exactly to size.  The 4" bolt will be kept for the future for when I get one of those gucci reels you have for much cheapness when you're finished with it.  I plan to file off the threads and sand the end smooth too, I can't really see the last 4" of the butt section deflecting so much that it damages the blank but when it snaps I'll let you say I told you so. 
3. In my opinion if I'm going to make a custom rod then I want it to look like a custom or else I would have gone and got a mackenzie or century or some other toy. 
4. I plan to put an honesty mark on the next rod I make for the trout. 
5. This one may be my last!

Be interested in seeing how that handle on the bottom end feels when casting.  Personally I like quite a thin handle on a DH rod as it allows me to feel the blank more when casting but the picture of your hand wrapped around the lower end looks as if it may work quite well despite it looking like a butt plug.

I measured the handle on my Partridge and the max OD on the bottom grip is 33mm going down to 26mm, the "Butt plug" is 34mm going down to 21mm.  It just looks larger than it is. 

Oh and Irvine and Sandy the words "Sh*t f*ck B*gger w*nk" were heard quite a few times whilst doing the wraps.....

Cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #23 on: 15/06/2011 at 00:29 »
Hi Mat,

Fair play.

you raise a few wee points that I haven't explained very well.
now you've explained yourself very well  :z7

I can't really see the last 4" of the butt section deflecting so much that it damages the blank
give me a shot with a skagit and I'll see what I can do!  :wink

What about a 9' 4wt TCX next?

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #24 on: 15/06/2011 at 08:05 »
10ft 5wt affinity MX next. Then I'll need to refill the piggy bank before my next rod building adventure. I keep hearing a voice wittering on with something about a new kitchen and bathroom......

Matt Henderson

« Reply #25 on: 16/06/2011 at 22:46 »
Had a wee cast tonight. Taking a bit of used to casting a slightly shorter double hander.  But the rio low water spey line casts nicely when I get it right and turned over nicely with a 6ft poly leader and about 8ft of leader.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com