Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Glasgow angling centre debate!
« on: 20/02/2007 at 15:33 »
To cut a long story short i broke the tip on my 9ft 4wt Hm2 last year and glasgow angling centre supplied me with a new tip.
Problem is they gave me a tip that said 4/5 on it!
On each other section of my rod it just says 4.
They assured me it was the correct tip but it bugs my why the rest of the sections only have 4 stamped on them.
Does anyone else have a rod like this to put my mind at rest?

Regards
Baz

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: 20/02/2007 at 15:40 »
baz

Does it work the same?

if so scratch off the 5, i personally hate the text on modern rod joints, it looks cheap and nasty, alignment dots are great but there is no need to advertise what the rod is at every joint. Unless there is a large box of bits at the factory and they sort through them to find the right one.

As for GAC its not their fault they have provided the replacement item as per the manufacturer reccomendations, you cant ask for much more :grin: I think the later HM2's were mostly dual line rated, but i may be wrong. Are the rings different?

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 20/02/2007 at 15:43 »
Every thing works ok but i cant remember if there was any difference from when it worked originally!.

It's just bugging me alot!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 20/02/2007 at 15:46 »
WHY? :z6

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2007 at 15:49 »
It might feel even better with the right tip and iam not clever enough to say if it feels how it should do!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 20/02/2007 at 16:24 »
What you need are original CCS figures for the HM2
and then you could replicate the test and get new figures for the new tip.
Then you could tell whether it was the same or not, or faster or slower or stiffer or softer. :z4
Then you would be clever enough to tell. :roll:

http://www.common-cents.info/

That aside do you like fishing with the rod?

If so who gives a f*$!, you are teetering on the edge of the abyss that is WHY?

:lol:

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 20/02/2007 at 16:36 »
You know far to much Sandy!
Thanks for the info though!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 20/02/2007 at 17:38 »
Just remember the Abyss :shock:

Its bottomlesssssssssssssssssssssssss :lol:  :lol:

Magnus Angus

« Reply #8 on: 21/02/2007 at 00:39 »
Sandy

How you getting along measuring rods?

Bigtroot

If it's really getting to you call Svendsen Sport - www.svendsen-sport.com/- who own the Scierra brand 02920713820 Failing that, Hywel Morgan will be at the GAC open day (so will I) you could nip down and ask him (not me) - Hywel loves dealing with questions like that  :grin:

My bet is the HM2 you bought was one of the early ones (mine also has a single line rating.) The rating system was changed later in the life of the range, just prior to the release of the HM3 range - guess what, rods in the newer series are all double rated.

Scierra say this about their "new" rating policy:
Two figures are designated to each rod, e.g. 7/8 meaning that the rod will be properly balanced with a class seven double taper line or a class eight weight-forward line. In addition to the AFTM classification, all Scierra rod series will now be marked with the recommended casting weight (weight of head or the first 30 feet of a full line) allowing for a more precise line matching. For example, a 7/8 weight single-handed rod may have a recommended casting weight of 15 grams, while another 7/8 weight single-handed rod may have a recommended casting weight of 16 grams. In terms of AFTM classification the rods are alike, but they differ when it comes to the recommended casting weight classification. Thus the new Scierra classification scheme will enable the angler to know precisely what line to use if he's to attain the optimum performance from his rod, in any given situation and in any weather conditions. For single-handed rods the classification will always be a single figure. However, for double-handed rods the classification will be split, e.g. 25-27 grams for a 8/9 weight rod. Perfectly matching the right line to your Scierra rod has never been easier!

Given that Henrik Mortensen and Hywel Morgan have a load of input on that side of things I'm not going to argue. Hywel is one of the best casters on the planet! Henrick is no slouch.

More seriously, Scierra took a policy decision to give more information on their rods. According to that system they would match your rod to a DT4 or a WF5. You, of course, should match it with the line you find suits you best.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 21/02/2007 at 07:10 »
Magnus

Getting along fine, this Abyss you nudged me towards is a bit too deep though :shock:
Its always raining, judging by what those around me are wearing :wink:

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 21/02/2007 at 08:51 »
Hmmm ........ Hi Sandy

Have you been seeing "those nice men in the white anoraks" again?  :z3

Mike  :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 21/02/2007 at 11:18 »
Well said Mike, Sounds like Sandy has a few weird fetishes!.  :shock:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 21/02/2007 at 16:07 »
:z9

Tam Greenock

« Reply #13 on: 23/02/2007 at 18:13 »
Can someone tell me when the GAC open day is please

Tam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 23/02/2007 at 21:21 »
Tam

I think its 10/11th of March.

great place to try out different rods. :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com