Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

mike

Mossat fishery.
« on: 07/05/2011 at 00:04 »
Hello guys , just home from a days fly fishing at Mossat fishery just outside Alford .
Its the first time i have been and found the place to be in tip top condition , bank grass cut well down and not too many weeds (depending where you were but very little ) . The guy who runs it was a real gem of a bloke and couldn't have done more to make us feel more welcome if he'd tried ( cheers Steve ) :z12.
Its going under a bit of a revamp at the moment as he is installing a new toilet block so currently using an old caravan but it was very clean .
Now the fish !!!!

We paid £20 for a 3 keep which is par for the course and you must return any brownies and any double figure fish ( a la lochter ) but here's the problem - the fish we were in to were lucky if they weighed 3/4 of a lb and i had an even smaller one of i guess less than that . No big fish were to be seen either rising or just teasing us and swimming by ... That kind of spoiled what should have been a good day. It has 3 ponds , 2 of which are of a decent size and the 3rd really too small to fish well .The wind made it awkward to cast at times but you do get sheltered quite well at the rear pond. All in all a very good place to visit but i would wait a while until the wee fishes have had a chance to grow up a bit before we return , but we will return !!!!!!!!!!!

Dutchfly

Re: Mossat fishery.
« Reply #1 on: 07/05/2011 at 08:46 »
Hi Mike,

We fished Mossat two years ago. As you say, Steve is an excellent host who makes you feel very welcome indeed :z16

When we were there, the small loch gave the biggest fish!  :shock Goldhead damsel fished deep near the pipe at the far end produced some cracking fish, including a blue that fought very, very hard.

CU

Jeroen

mike

« Reply #2 on: 07/05/2011 at 13:31 »
Hi Jeroen,

It was in the small loch that i caught the tiddler on about my 3rd cast using a white/yellow cats whisker, and the size of the thing really put me off fishing it . it too was hooked near the pipe funnily enough .
If i had bagged it , by the time it was gutted / head , tail off it would have made a fish finger look like a jumbo sausage roll ... :z4 :z4

regards ,
Mike .

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2011 at 14:19 »
it too was hooked near the pipe

I hope you returned it since it was foul hooked!  :z4 :oops

Iain

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #4 on: 07/05/2011 at 14:58 »
HMMMMM...Jumbo Sausage Roll

:z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com