Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Guinea Fowl
« on: 04/05/2011 at 21:12 »
  Hi,
   Could any of the forum members be of assistance. I have recently purchased a bag of coloured guinea fowl feathers, seems I am always adding to the fly tying gear.
   My problem now is this, what flies can it be used to make and what are its properties, is it nice and mobile like hen or better for hackles like cock cape, are there any existing patterns I can copy?
   A few questions I know, but any help would be very much appreciated.
   Thanks in advance,
    Keith

Re: Guinea Fowl
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/2011 at 21:23 »
Blue Guinea Fowl hackles are often used as a substitute for blue Jay feathers.  So you could use them for bumbles, Invictas, blue Zulu etc.

The other colours could make for some interesting variations.

Robbie

Andy Wren

« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2011 at 07:58 »
I use a fly for loch sea trout that works well in flat calms ,you will see mention of it In headleys bible
tail red hackle fibre
body pearly( these days pearlyholo.
hackle sparse red
wing tied in missionary style ,spoon shaped red dyed guinea fowl

generally on a Sprite#12 wet fly hook.
Fish this as a nymph in flat calms and some seatrout may well latch on ,its worked on the uists,the mainland and on Currane.

My theory on this fly is that the wing makes the fly flutter and the pearly "twinkle" grabbing the fishes attention .

Works for me ,had ellis Slater dye me a shed load of the right GF feathers and there is a row of them in my loch seatrout wheatley .

« Reply #3 on: 11/05/2011 at 19:53 »
  Many thanks to the members for their considered and informative replies. It has given me much food for thought :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com