Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Mobile Phones & Rural Scotland
« on: 03/05/2011 at 18:04 »
What is happening to our mobile phone networks? ...... I used to be able to hold a very reasonable mobile phone conversation at Haddo and when out and about, but this is almost impossible nowadays. I used to simply walk around and talk on the mobile, this is simply not possible nowadays, I have even installed an external Yagi type aerial which is then fed through a booster and I still can't hold a conversation without getting cut off within seconds! :roll

The mobile network is slowly but surely getting worse :shock and this is a major problem for rural businesses in Scotland.

Call me an old fart :z4 ...... but what use is a phone with a camera, music playing capabilities and all the latest "Apps" if you can't use it as a phone! I am at the stage where I consider mine to be a "texting gadget", as this is all it is good for unless I am in Aberdeen or one of the larger towns at the time :z3

I'm with Vodafone ( Name and shame ) and have been for 10 years, but I can't find a better provider. Must confess that when I see their name on premier football team shirts and on Formula 1 cars and caps that I can't help wishing they would spend some of this money on improving the service!

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

Re: Mobile Phones & Rural Scotland
« Reply #1 on: 03/05/2011 at 18:41 »
Perhaps it could be part of planning requirements in Scotland that each of these tall wind generators had to have a mobile service repeater on top of them? :z17

Cheers
Mike

Offthebard

« Reply #2 on: 03/05/2011 at 19:36 »
I've always found the coverage with O2 the best in Rural Scotland.

I believe that they have the most phone masts along with Orange a close second. I think there was an anouncement recentl about O2 and Orange networks sharing masts to give even better coverage in rural areas.

Population usage has always been the driver for these things and I suppose rural parts will always mean a very long payback.

Sandy.

Offthebard

« Reply #3 on: 03/05/2011 at 19:41 »
Mike,

just a thought for you, why not see what networks others have around you and how their service compares. If one service seems much better get a free pay as you go sim and run a trial.

We did this at our club water in the outback of North Devon - some of the areas don't even have mains electric  :shock.

It turned out O2 out performed Orange, Three, and Vodaphone for some unknown reason. :z1

Sandy. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 03/05/2011 at 19:51 »
Thanks for the ideas Sandy. We already do this, I took over a bunch of phones on all the different networks years ago and then decided on Vodafone, because it was the only one that worked there.

I also frequently ask customers that are on the water about the reception at Haddo with their phone network :wink

Mains electric? What's that? ....... Solar power at Haddo Sandy :cool:

What I find difficult to understand is the fact that the service is slowly but surely getting worse on all networks?

Cheers
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 03/05/2011 at 21:27 »
Mike,

just a thought for you, why not see what networks others have around you and how their service compares. If one service seems much better get a free pay as you go sim and run a trial.

We did this at our club water in the outback of North Devon - some of the areas don't even have mains electric  :shock.

It turned out O2 out performed Orange, Three, and Vodaphone for some unknown reason. :z1

Sandy. 

I'm with Three and they use 02 and orange when there is no 3g signal. I guess thats why their call Three as you get 3 chances of getting a signal :z16

Dave

Quickcast 84

« Reply #6 on: 03/05/2011 at 21:40 »
im with o2 and get a very poor signal at haddo,like yourself mike,cut off in seconds.my mate is orange and gets a signal with no problems.my other mate is orange and struggles for signal at haddo.its not only the network that can cause a signal problem,sum phones are worse than others at picking up a signal.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #7 on: 04/05/2011 at 08:55 »
Mike

I'm with O2 too and I consistently get a 1 bar signal at Haddo. I haven't noticed any deterioration in service lately and I live and work in rural areas.  My phone was working fine the last time I was at Haddo. Maybe you just need a new phone. :z8

cheers
Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 04/05/2011 at 09:27 »
I like Orange, perfect for me in rural areas as it simply does not work. 

I'm unreachable at Fetternear, Kildrummy, Strathdon generally, Haddo, almost everywhere once more than 5 mins drive from Lochinver (simply read north of Inverness), poor if any signal at Hamish place in fact anywhere outside of a major centre of population.  For this very reason I will stick with Orange, as the patchy service when I'm out fishing quite suits me  :grin

It does amaze me when there are masts everywhere these days  :?

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 04/05/2011 at 09:34 »
Up here in the North I've very few issues with Vodafone coverage, my own mobile and works mobile are both on Vodafone.
Oddly, my wee sister reports Vodafone coverage in Aberdeenshire appears to have dropped markedly in the last year :z8
So much so she is considering a swap to Orange.
The future is bright.......

:z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 04/05/2011 at 09:40 »
I get little or no signal at Haddo on O2 unless I'm out on the loch in which case it's not too bad.  So I suggest you just spend all of your time out on the loch!

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #11 on: 04/05/2011 at 11:38 »
On many parts of the Deveron and the Spey, Vodafone is the only one that gets a signal.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 04/05/2011 at 15:51 »
Apart from the camera why do we take phones with us on a fishing trip?? :z6

Quickcast 84

« Reply #13 on: 04/05/2011 at 19:46 »
errrrrrrrrmmm...................so the wifes can get hold of us???!!!  :z4 :z4

macleodsat11

« Reply #14 on: 09/05/2011 at 13:07 »
I used to struggle to get a signal when in rural areas with T-Mobile, best feeling ever going somewhere you know you cant be disturbed or distracted by calls and/or email,

I am now with Voda, and get a signal almost everywhere i go, and find it frustrating that the bugger keeps going off. (does come in handy though if im on call and want to cast a few lines)

I know I could just switch it off, but would face heavy interrogation if she who must be :z14 obeyed couldnt get in touch........ :z6

dont you have wireless there though Mike?, is skype the answer?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com