Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

barbless hooks for wet flies
« on: 21/04/2011 at 18:37 »
All,

What's the current barbless hook of choice for tying wet flies?

Cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

Re: barbless hooks for wet flies
« Reply #1 on: 21/04/2011 at 20:57 »
Why does that always happen!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad

Just timed out my session and lost the post.

Mattheus,

Try the Dohuiku HDD 301 & HDN 302 from Phil Holding at the Flytying Boutique.

I don't tie many wets but use the HDD 301 for 99% of me spiders - and it's actually classified as a dry fly hook. The HDN 302 is a wet fly hook and a nice one at that.
Here are some photo's with a Kamasan B170 & 175 - as a comparison as most tyers know these well.
All hooks are size 12

Dohikus' on Left - HDD 301 on top, HDN 302 below.

HDD 301

HDN 302

There seems to be a fair amount of barbless/ micro barbed hooks on the meerkat (Grip, Tiemco, Skalka, Varivas to name but a few - the problem is getting a store with a decent inventory, 'out of stock' seems to be annoyingly common.
I never seem to have any real problem with Phil's stock.
Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 21/04/2011 at 22:03 »
Cheers for those photo's and info Bert, intresting   :wink

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2011 at 23:22 »
Cheers Iain. On the crackberry the noo so I'll have a look at the pics on the laptop tomorrow. I almost bought some partridge SLD hooks today but the two places I tried were both out of stock!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2011 at 23:58 »
Thanks Bazra  :z16

Partridge SLD's are my favourite dry fly hook but again it's a nightmare finding someone with stock of #12's.
Been waiting a wee while for my last order of them.

I used to like the 103BL's but I've had the odd let down when contacting larger or fiesty fish & I don't think it can be put down to brutality as I never use anything heavier than a 4 wt for my normal trout fishing, I just feel the gauge of wire is too slight, otherwise a great hook.

Here's a 103BL, SLD and HDD 301 for another comparison (103 is #15 others are #12's)

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com