Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

pink partridges
« on: 24/04/2011 at 11:48 »
tied up some spiders with partridge hackle and pinkish bodies - had some pink dubbing to experiment with. either used it very pink, or diluted it down to a duller pink by mixing with some greyish sheep wool.

had a good few fish on them fished simply across and down in traditional wet style - lots of little trouts and parr, but a couple of better fish including a 3lb sea trout kelt on a dull pink, chewed to bits, spider.  best results seem to have been when fished with a beaded nymph on point, guessing that's been getting the spiders down a bit deeper.

a wee scraggly collection pictured - an orange sparkle min fritz, a couple of pearly spiders and a pink beaded bug too.
spiders tied same as Sandy's Waterhen Bloa (although much much less nicely tied than Sandy!). I tend to overhackle my spiders, not traditional i know, but that's my choice!

don't know whether it is the pink that's helped, or just that partridge spiders look alive in water, but either way i can fish these with confidence

iain

Iain Goolager

Re: pink partridges
« Reply #1 on: 24/04/2011 at 14:41 »
Iain,
I've been critisized for my spider hackle density before but I really do like a slightly longer & fuller hackle than what might be called the norm., and also if it's as perpernicular to the hook shank as possible.

Never tried Pink! maybe one day.

Iain

Iain Cameron

Re: pink partridges
« Reply #2 on: 24/04/2011 at 18:49 »
Iain,
I've been critisized for my spider hackle density

let the fish be your only critics!!!
though i just tied a couple more with the regulation 2 turns of hackle

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com