Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Pitlochry
« on: 23/04/2011 at 22:12 »
Going to Pitlochry on Fri with the family staying at Faskally caravan site until Monday, as I'll only get out for a short time for a cast can anyone recommend anywhere?

Dave

Allan Liddle

Re: Pitlochry
« Reply #1 on: 24/04/2011 at 03:11 »
Tummel is the obvious answer and a cracking (if technically difficult) river.  If limited time then work spiders downstream from the slamon hut on the same bank as the caravan park till below the A9 road bridge, then cross over (bridge don't wade and watch the feckin cars) and fish all the way down to the sharp right hand bend.  Switch to dries as soon as you see some movement. Tickets from the caravan park?  Def in the local tackle shop if you can get it open, or the tourist info.

If this water's too big then a wee run back up the A9 and have a blast at the Garry above Blair Athol.  I think you get the tickets at the post office in Blair?

Hope this helps

Allan

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 24/04/2011 at 15:58 »
Hi Allan,

As I'm a complete novice to river fishing think I'd better give the Tummel a miss, may try the Garry or might head for a small still water if there is any near by.

Of course it all depends on how long a lead I get :z4 :z4

Dave

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 24/04/2011 at 17:53 »
Tilt at Bair Atholl also worth a wee look.  If it's still water, closest is Butterstone about half an hour from Pitlochry.

Allan

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 25/04/2011 at 09:08 »
You could always fish Loch Faskally :? Never fished it myself - one aborted trip four years ago - but there's supposed to be a decent head of trout and, with the right gear, chances of a Salmon aren't bad either.
Seeing as it's on your 'doorstep' so to speak, has to be worth a hurl surely :?

:z3

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 02/05/2011 at 19:42 »
Well arrived about midday on Friaday setup caravan then had to go for the obligatory stroll round Pitlochry. I managed to get into Quaels to find out about some fishing,the young guy said I would be as well getting a ticket (£7 from the boating station) for the Garry since it was next to the caravan site as there brownies/grayling and the chance of a salmon. As I didn't know when I'd get the chance to get out I just got a ticket for Sat and Sun (yes Sunday fishing is allowed).

Managed to get to the river on Sat afternoon but It was very low (waded across in my wellies) seen a couple of fish rise but didn't get anything as my casting wasn't at its best more knots than anything else, also the kids and adults chucking stones into the water didn't help.

Went out again on Sun evening at about 8.30 seen lots of fish rising then on cue the stone chuckers arrived and the knots again.

Think I was trying to hard with the casting as the more I tried the worse I got.

Darkness was coming down and about 9.45 last cast caught this beauty.

Hook is right through it's bottom jaw, my catches are getting smaller instead of bigger.

I should have known at £7 and near the caravan site it wouldn't be that peacefull.

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com