Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

smallmouth bass flies
« on: 21/04/2011 at 15:36 »
Has anybody done any fishing for smallmouth bass on the fly?  I'm going to try and sneak in some fishing on my next trip to Canada and these are apparantly the fish of choice close to where the outlaws live.  Any hints and tips for which fies to use?  Preferably like to tie my own before I go. 

Cheers

Matt

jpm75

Re: smallmouth bass flies
« Reply #1 on: 21/04/2011 at 16:23 »
Hi Matt never done any bass fishing, I might get a chance to do some in Florida in the next few weeks, so I'm afraid I can't give you any tips. You should try sandy's frog pattern it looks like it would tempt a bass or two.
Cheers John.

Alex Burnett

« Reply #2 on: 21/04/2011 at 18:21 »
Has anybody done any fishing for smallmouth bass on the fly?  I'm going to try and sneak in some fishing on my next trip to Canada and these are apparantly the fish of choice close to where the outlaws live.  Any hints and tips for which fies to use?  Preferably like to tie my own before I go. 

Cheers

Matt

Matt

You could try the following; Clouser Minnows, Crayfish Patterns, Poppers & Wet Flies.
However they are also partial to the odd Hares Ear Nymph when fishing Czeck Nymph style.

Alex

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 13/05/2011 at 18:26 »
Matt check this out, think these are large mouth but exciting stuff :z16 Love the tube transport as well.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 14/05/2011 at 09:20 »
Thanks Noel,

Looks like that could be fun on the 3wt!  Busy rod making at the moment but I'll get on to tying some bass flies soon.  Sandy has pointed me in the direction of some materials so I'll be good to go soon.

Cheers

Matt

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #5 on: 15/05/2011 at 15:31 »
Matt,

I usually get to fish for small (and large)mouth bass when visiting the in-laws in Maine, USA.  Surface poppers are always good fun.  Check out Spiderman´s frog pattern post from earlier this year.  I have tied a few of these up to test out in July.  As for others, woolly buggers, zonkers and damsel nymphs would be my go to flies along with some mouse patterns.

I hope this helps!

Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 15/05/2011 at 20:28 »
Mike,

Thanks for this.  What tackle do you use to target them?  Specifically fly line, and leaders.  Also on your bass flies do you fit a weed guard?  Do you put bead heads on your wooly buggers, zonkers and damsel nymphs?  Mouse patterns sound like good fun!

Cheers

Matt

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #7 on: 17/05/2011 at 08:40 »
Matt,

I don't usually tie them with weed guards but usually wish that I had.  I will put weight on the top of the hook shank so that they fish point up and tie most flies both with and without beads or cones.

As for gear, I use what I have to hand.  THis is an 8'6" #6 rod, WF6 floater or sink tip.  As for leaders, keep it simple.  If I use tapered leaders then they are usually my cut down trout leaders around 5-6ft and probably 1 or 2X at the point.  Nothing too delicate here.

I find sllllooooowwww is best.  On stilll evenings, you can't beat a surface popper fly.  Cast it out, wait for the rings to disappear and twitch a couple of times.  Be ready for some pretty spectacular takes - they often come out of the water to take the fly on the way down.  With the mosue and frog patterns, try to hit the bank or land them on top of lily pads then pop them into the water.  This can produce some good sport and if there are pickerel (small pike like fish) then you can see a bow wave coming at your fly from 6ft away.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com