Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Allan

Fixed spool reel
« on: 18/04/2011 at 11:45 »
Im looking for a new fixed spool reel to use with my Greys mac martin light spin/worm twin tip 9ft /10ft.
Its about 10 yeaars since I last bought a fixed spool reel so Idont know whats what nowadays.Ill mostly use it for grilse/seatrout spinning .occ bass spinning ,occ walking a worm. mostly using flying cs and tazzies.
         Any Ideas ..whats hot and whats not..
                                                             Graham

Stuart Smith

Re: Fixed spool reel
« Reply #1 on: 18/04/2011 at 15:35 »
hi Graham

ive been using a Abu Garcia Cardinal 502ALBI for light stuff.its loaded with about 100 yards of 6lb.its would be abit on the small side for what your looking for but they do bigger sizes

ive never had any problems with it. it cast very well and its got a great drag

i got it from angus angling a few years ago but im not sure if they still stock them

stuart

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 19/04/2011 at 08:30 »
I suppose the first question is how much do you want to spend on a fixed spool reel :?
Do you want the drag on the front of the spool or at the back of the reel :?
How much line do you need to hold and in what breaking strain :?

On the very infrequent occasion I spin I use an Abu Cardinal I bought 10 years ago and have hardly used, it replaced another Abu reel that was stolen. Although not in the same class as Abu reels of old the one I bought does the job nicely.
With walking a worm through a pool then a 'baitrunner' type reel may be an advantage. You might have a look at the Daiwa Regal which is mid-priced at around £60 (although they're on 'special' at GAC at around £45) but similarly priced products from Okuma and Abu are available from Mullarkeys.

Hope that's some help.

:z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 19/04/2011 at 23:05 »
You might have a look at the Daiwa Regal which is mid-priced at around £60 (although they're on 'special' at GAC at around £45)

We have two of those for Carp fishing, they have proven very reliable and well made for the price.

Personally i was dissapointed with most modern fixed spool reels, the ones at the affordable end of the market have become very plasticy and often quite nasty, i was always a shakespeare fan, but when we looked around at those and the Okuma's they could not match up to the Diawa in the same price point.
Shimano make nice reels, perhaps a second hand Ultegra or a second hand Mitchell 300, from the days when most of the fixed spool reels had proper metal bodies and decent bearings.

Otherwise Look for something that feels solid, has a metal spool and more than 3 bearings, i have seen the Abu Soron and they are very nice :z16 perhaps a little pricey though

I have the Far eastern version of this in 3500 size http://www.monstertackle.co.uk/fishinglures/daiwa-exceler.html which is black and brilliant, it gets a fair bit of harsh use in the sea and is standing up to everything i put it through so i would heartily reccomend it :z16 Looks like a decent price in the UK as well.
This will cope with the salt and freshwater and hold plenty of decent line (especially if you are using braid), excellant fixed spool reel.

Depends what you like, i prefer front drags, you can adjust the tension while palming the spool, plus i have a history of breaking rear drag knobs on rocks etc :z6, plus i like metal edged spools, big handles and lots of bearings.

have fun looking :z16

Sandy

Graham Allan

« Reply #4 on: 21/04/2011 at 23:35 »
Thanks for the replies.
I've orderd a shamino baitrunner aero se from the world sea fishing fourm £48 so just waiting for it to come in the post Ill let you what I think
                   Graham

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com