Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Copper Dabbler Muddler by Ramjet New
« on: 17/04/2011 at 02:50 »
Hi

This is a style of fly I have been tying for around 5 or 6 months now. I always shied away from muddlers as i thought they were really hard to tie.  I hope it makes sense to you all. It is harder than I thought trying to describe the sequence for this fly :oops.

COPPER DABBLER MUDDLER

Hook: B175 size 12
Thread: 8/0 Uni Black
Tail: Pheasant tail
Body: Copper utc holographic Tinsel (Medium)
Rib: Small gold wire
Body hackle: Brown cock saddle feather
Wing: Bronze mallard (Natural)
Head: Deer hair (Natural)

Put down a layer of thread until thread is in line with the barb of the hook.

Tie in 4 or 5 strands of pheasant tail fibres, slightly longer than the length of the shank. Also tie in gold wire and copper tinsel.

Tidy up and wrap tinsel to just past half way mark.

Tie in Brown saddle hackle at the end of the tinsel.

Wind hackle down the shank approx 4 or 5 turns. Secure with gold wire and wrap up to end of tinsel (4 or 5 turns).

Take Bronze mallard feather and tear off a piece around 20mm.

Fold Mallard feather over on its self around 4 times till you end up with a thin slip.

Tie in thin slip of bronze mallard in front of hackle. The length of wing should be just short of the tail length. Place tying thread 1/3 rd the way up the bare section of hook (a little further forward than what the picture shows).

Take some deer hair around the same thickness as a normal HB pencil. Place in hair stacker until all tips are lined up.

Place deer hair against the shank of the hook nearest yourself. The tips of the deer hair should line up with the tips of the body hackle. You will notice that the deer hair is on a slight angle to the hook shank (Tips are to the top left. Butt ends to bottom right). Place 2 loose wraps of tying thread around the deer hair.

Shorten tying thread and pull upwards allowing the 2 loose wraps of thread to tighten up. This should spin the deer hair like the picture above.

Place a couple more wraps of thread in same place as your first 2 loose wraps. Bring thread to eye of hook, build up a small head, whip finish and cut off thread.

Stroke the long ends of the deer hair forward leaving the tips facing backwards. This should be easy as your first loose wraps of thread should have made a separation point between tips and rest of hair.

Cut long ends of deer hair into a rough circle.

Stroke the fibres back and begin to cut head into desired shape. Curved scissors are best but not essential.

The finished product. Give it a try, it is easier than you think :z18

Alan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com