Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

Flourocarbon weakening
« on: 07/04/2011 at 16:04 »
Has anyone ever noticed or had experience with flourocarbon weakening? I think its because I keep it in the shed with all the other gear and wondered if the cold kills it, I had a situation last week where I had 2 different lines ( well known quality makes ) break when testing my knots and my knots are tied very well before the knot police come forward ha  ha ha, I had to resort to using mono.

Anyone got an answer??

bracken

Re: Flourocarbon weakening
« Reply #1 on: 07/04/2011 at 19:22 »
Hi,

I have had a couple of spools of Orvis Mirage weaken and snap under fishy load this last year. Interestingly, both were well within their best before date as well. I did hear that they are not good when exposed to the sunlight for long periods, and both of these spools came back with me from Las Vegas, so could have been kept 'badly' before I bought them. Too much sun is not generally a problem in the UK!

Personally, I would suggest bringing spools back into the house and storing them somewhere in subdued light and seeing how you go. Also it does appear that the more expensive ones do perform better.

I've also discovered that some flourocarban is very different to other makes. Generally Orvis Mirage is good and also Rio, but I have had very mixed success with some other makes. I bought a spool which had plenty of line on, which was sold and designed for carp fishing, to try and lower the cost of tippet material. This stuff was absolutely hopeless, and broke as soon as you looked at it. I'll upset too many manufacturers if I start listing the dodgy ones I've tried over the years.

adambrain

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2011 at 09:46 »
Yeh I was a bit shocked as well it a spool of orvis that i just bought a few weeks ago thats snapping, the other spool was fulling mill, never had problem with it till now but maybe its just a bit old. all my kit is kept in the house now hopefully no more probs.
cheers for the feed back.

« Reply #3 on: 19/04/2011 at 16:16 »
Afternoon,

I had this problem a couple of seasons ago when fishing the evening rise most nights for a few weeks in a row. lucky man i know! only thing was... after the first week the fluoro was starting to snap at the knots fairly regularly and by the third week the lot was in the bin. 7 spools from the leader pocket! not  :z16 but  :z8 ! so i went enquiring and the consensus of opinion at the time was keeping my waistcoat in the boot all day before going straight to the water in the evening, and leaving it in the boot overnight ready for tomorrow was too much of a temperature variation (24/25 during the day, 4/5 at night) and that was causing the weakening to occur. bought a few new spools and took it all in at night etc, basically not leaving it in the car too long and no problems since.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Colin.

adambrain

« Reply #4 on: 19/04/2011 at 20:24 »
Yeh cheers colin, sounds like a similar tyoe thing was happening to me keeping my stuff in the shed. Thanks.for all the feed back

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com