Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

North Island NZ
« on: 03/04/2011 at 11:18 »
Hi Guys, i thought about crashing Alan's post on proper day out on the river, but then thought Nah! :z4

We got a couple of days out during our fantastic holiday to see the North Island of NZ

Day one was fishing for wild rainbows on a tributary of the Waikato river, we were in the bush about 20 mins down a dirt track in the middle of nowhere, i can tell you there was nowhere else i would rather have been :z16

It looked like this.

and this

and occasionally opened out into this

So Daniel finally find found out why i love river fishing and he had a guide that he actually listened too for a change :z4

we spent all day wandering over a river bed of volcanic plates, fishing in the cracks and holes.
Very different, but the fish were there and we learned how to fish the nymph New Zealand style.

We had well over 20 beasties like this one, (between us), averaging about 2 lbs, it was fishing like i've never experienced before :grin plus plenty wee ones but nothing less than about 10" an amazing wee river.

fabulous conditioned fish and boy did they fight :z18 fantastic way to spend your birthday :z12

Our Second days fishing was offshore in the Bay of Island for Yellow tailed Kingfish, the plan had been for Dan to Live bait, i would flyfish, but conditions dictated that fly fishing was out  :z19 So we both learned how to live bait in the sea.

Good fun

Dan managed to catch more snapper than kingies though

he did get one eventually, even if it was a wee one of about 7lbs

I managed 3 :z16 this being the smallest, but the best photo

they go like a train even on Bait gear, i got broken off on the rocks by a bigger fish and had a lot of fun for 15 mins with a medium size Tope (about 40lb+) until the line catch the rudder and parted :z19 but we still got to hook our shark, even if we didn't get a photo, next time.................. :wink

All in another fantastic day out and one i would definatley repeat, a kingfish on the fly would be something else.
at least this time i didn't have to hang onto his belt :z4

Back to reality now, although NZ would be a great port for our next adventure :wink

Sandy

Hamish Young

Re: North Island NZ
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2011 at 11:52 »
Nice Sandy, nice  :cool:
Not at all jealous. Pure dead honest I'm not :z7

But hells bells :! 'Little me' really is your spitting image..... just as well you got rid of the 'mullet' or you could be mistaken for each other :z4  :z4

:z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2011 at 14:11 »
Cool, so what did you think of the homeland then? ....... There are worse places for a young lad to live and discover the great outdoors! :wink

Are there no hairdressers in Brunei? :shock

Great photos Sandy, thanks for posting them :z16
Cheers
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2011 at 17:17 »
No I'm nae jealous either :wink

Looks nice, very nice. Thanks for the report.

cheers
Irvine

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 03/04/2011 at 19:05 »
Crackin report Sandy.  Loved the look of that wee stream, loads of interesting features there.  And monsters in the sea as well.  I will get there one day, promise.  :wink

Allan

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2011 at 20:45 »
Great stuff Sandy and I echo what the lads say above. You are living the dream now fair play :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 04/04/2011 at 05:57 »
Aye Noel its a hard life :z4 :z4

Sandy

John Reid

« Reply #7 on: 04/04/2011 at 11:18 »
Looks great Sandy.  Thank you for making me envious!  :wink

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 04/04/2011 at 20:36 »
Looks like great fun Sandy. Time you told the loon he needs a haircut!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com