Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

First Proper Day on the River
« on: 03/04/2011 at 10:33 »
Ok it was actually my second day as the previous Sat i'd nipped over for a couple of hours (see anything rising thread) and found a few fish moving to LDO's with a small (but very welcome) fish falling to the DHE (what else for me?  :z4)

Anyway last Tuesday and a day off work found me standing on a little bridge looking for hatching flees and rising troots. 

Well i didn't even get as far as the bridge as i'd saw enough action on the way there so it was rush back to the car boot and get kitted oot.  4 mins later and on the water.

There was a reasonable hatch of LDO's and a few fish respondin, but they had that early season head on and were ignoring more than they were eating. Simply not recognising them as a food source yet. And as they weren't hard on the feed they were hard to tempt.

But weather conditions were perfect and i had plenty water to explore so i set off in search of targets and before too long found a willing fish or two (or four to be exact  :wink) all in the 8 to 10 inch range.

Found some nice water like this

And looked out for things like this

And hope it ended up like this

All in all a crackin wee day and hopefully a decent spell of settled weather will have them on the top in earnest with some 'Rod Benders' amongst them.
Strangely there was a reasonable couple of flurries of MB's which were completely ignored by the fish so i suspect these were the very first hatches.  Won't be long before they're geting nailed in earnest.  Sadly i'll have to wait a couple of weeks now as i'm off to Carron next Sat for the first of my SNFFL matches.

Actually what am i saying, where's that holiday card?

Allan

Hamish Young

Re: First Proper Day on the River
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/2011 at 10:44 »
Nice report there Allan :wink

Good to get out again isn't it :? Hope to be having a cast for some trout this coming week myself :cool:
However, I suspect my approach may be a wee bit less delicate :shock

:z3

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2011 at 10:48 »
Don't think i'd have to troll too hard to think what you're going to be doing then Hamish.  :z4

Allan

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 03/04/2011 at 10:53 »
LOL  :z13
I can see why that might be logical with my fondness for the 'dark side' but no, it won't be trolling - not yet anyway :wink
Let's just say it has something to do with streamers and a large river :z16

:z3

..... I will be taking a light rod along too.... just in case they're sticking their noses up for something on top  :cool:

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 03/04/2011 at 20:48 »
Good report and pics Allan. Must start using the camera more often myself.  :z16

Offthebard

« Reply #5 on: 04/04/2011 at 20:09 »
Nice report Allan and a nice bit of water, good to see the troots are now playing North of the Border.

Had a good start doon here now with troots coming readily to dry hoppers and Hawthorns, managed ten last visit with the best a corker at 1lb2oz. :grin

Looking forward to the meet at the bunkhouse in a few weeks.

Sandy.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com