Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Loch Ruthven
« on: 31/03/2011 at 14:01 »
Hi guys!

Does anybody have any knowledge on Loch Ruthven? (hamish perhaps ???)

It looks like I could be heading up there on the 23rd of April and was wondering if anybody knows much about the water?  I would imagine that shortlining traditional wets would be the best line of attack but any local knowledge with likely drifts etc would be greatly appreciated :z16

:z18
Steven

Andy Finlay

Re: Loch Ruthven
« Reply #1 on: 31/03/2011 at 14:39 »
Steven,

I'm planning having a go there next time I'm up at the inlaws but can't give any first hand info I'm afraid but the website linked below seems pretty informative. Hope this helps some.

http://www.artifly.com/loch_ruthven.htm

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #2 on: 31/03/2011 at 15:54 »
Shortlining works well up there.  Use flies with claret in them.  I like a sedgehog on the bob, a wingless wickhams on the middle and a pennel on the point for Ruthven.  I am sure most traditional patterns will work and each angler has there favourite.

As for drifts, there are plenty of good ones.  Start by pushing the boat out a few metres and drift - it works for me!

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 31/03/2011 at 18:21 »
I've fished it a few times and Mike is on the nose... push off, cast out yer flies and short line your way around the loch.
It's all good, my best is around 2lbs but expect more in the 8oz to 14oz bracket.
Claret Bumble and a very bright soldier palmer did the best for me by a country mile :cool:
As I always say... don't be afraid to 'give 'em a mouthful' I'm seldom fishing smaller than a 12. If the weather is fair it should be OK, but I haven't fished Ruthven earlier than June and it can get chilly up there.

:z3

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 31/03/2011 at 18:29 »
Thanks for the advice guys!

I will let you know how I get on.

:z18
Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com