Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

River Dee in flood
« on: 16/02/2007 at 08:31 »
Went over the Dee at Maryculter this morning...over the banks!!! Its 3-4 feet up on yesterday morning and the Powberry Pool is no more....its about 50 yards wide there now! Above the bridge is just water...As you drive down South Deeside and look across you can see flooded fields all the way.

I presume its snow melt????

Irvine Ross

River Dee in flood
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2007 at 09:05 »
Yes it is snow melt, the temperature has been well up, plus 12mm of rain at Braemar in the last 24 hours.

There goes all the skier's snow. Might help get a run of fish up the Dee as it drops back. The beats above Aboyne open on 1st March so it could do them some good.

Irvine

wildfisher

Re: River Dee in flood
« Reply #2 on: 16/02/2007 at 09:12 »
There was very heavy snow fall up in the hills last week followed by  a phenomenal thaw over the past 48  hours  due to the warm (relatively) gale. I have  a panorama from Lochnagar,  round  past Ben A'n  right round to Bennachie from the  back of my house and the difference over the past 48 hours has been  amazing.  Nothing melts  snow faster than wind. Bad news for skiers and while my heart does not exactly bleed for them it is not good for the local economy on Deeside and Donside.

wildfisher

River Dee in flood
« Reply #3 on: 16/02/2007 at 12:44 »
Just down at the Don at Alford. It's roaring down too. Good, it'll  get the kelts safely  back out to sea hopefully!

Hamish Young

River Dee in flood
« Reply #4 on: 16/02/2007 at 14:21 »
Quote from: "wildfisher"
Good, it'll  get the kelts safely  back out to sea hopefully!

Aye - that's what's needed, don't like this thing of beats/anglers reporting sport with kelts  :mad:

Rob Brownfield

River Dee in flood
« Reply #5 on: 19/02/2007 at 08:51 »
The Don has still been high all weekend....

Barry Robertson

Re: River Dee in flood
« Reply #6 on: 15/03/2007 at 05:46 »
. I have  a panorama from Lochnagar,  round  past Ben A'n  right round to Bennachie from the  back of my house  quote]

I was up Lochnagar the last week there and was still a wee tad of snow kicking about - Anyone know if theres any fish in there?

Malcolm Copland

River Dee in flood
« Reply #7 on: 15/03/2007 at 07:18 »
There certainly used to be very small trout and a few char as well. I tried fishing for them about 35 years ago and ther biggest I caught was about 6 ozs.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com