Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Fancy a laugh
« Reply #30 on: 25/03/2011 at 21:06 »
I hear what you're saying Baz, great value, but £38 isn't even enough to cover the cost of eight 2 pounders :z8

Cheers
Mike

Derek McLaren

« Reply #31 on: 02/04/2011 at 10:13 »
I hear what you're saying Baz, great value, but £38 isn't even enough to cover the cost of eight 2 pounders :z8

Cheers
Mike

I think this will cover it  :shock  :grin  :grin

http://www.butterstonelochfishings.co.uk/private_over_cardney.php

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #32 on: 02/04/2011 at 14:30 »
 :shock I can fish the River Test for less than that!  :z8 They're 'aving a laugh... :roll

Allan Liddle

« Reply #33 on: 03/04/2011 at 10:40 »
:shock I can fish the River Test for less than that!  :z8 They're 'aving a laugh... :roll

Or for even much less you could stay up here and fish a proper river for proper troots.  :z4

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #34 on: 03/04/2011 at 11:34 »
Ever been there?

Ewan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #35 on: 03/04/2011 at 19:17 »
No Ewan as it happens i haven't so you can stick the boot in by saying i don't know what i'm talking about.  I know some of it must be excellent though.

I was however invited down to fish a well known section some time back (for mortgage amounts) which included all the do's and dont's associated and was also informed it would be good 'cause they'd recently topped up the stock level with some large browns which would be good to go for as they wouldn't be too spooky or fussy 

I really wanted to go for the experience, prestige and heritage surrounding it all but sadly i was due to be elsewhere that particular few days and had to decline.  So all my info based on the build up to that failed trip and other second hand reports.

Maybe some day.

Allan

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #36 on: 03/04/2011 at 20:27 »
No no Allan I didn't mean it that way.  I was going to ask what it was you didn't like if you had been and that I can thouroughly recommend it if you hadn't.  I think it's the sort of thing every Fly fisherman should try to do once.

You're right in that it is violently expensive on almost all of the beats but I suppose that's dictated by the market to fish on such an "esteemed" and "fabled" river system.  I've spoken to some people down there who have travelled from all over the world to specifically fish the Test or Itchen or whatever.  I have had all realatives get me vouchers for birthday's, Christmas etc for the last couple of years which eases the pain!  Some of the other chalkstreams (Avon, Nadder, Lambourne, Kennet, Wylye etc) are a lot cheaper and just as scenic and enjoyable.

Your also right that there are many beats on the Test (and other chalkstreams) that supplement their wild fish with stocked Browns but what managed trout rivers don't nowadays?  Some parts of the Don do I believe?  At least they use stock bred from the wild river fish nowadays.  All rainbows are to be killed if caught...The Itchen does have some beats that are totally "wild" and unstocked but then the prices become ridiculous.

Personally, I love it on the chalkstreams.  I make several "pilgramages" a year (pretending to visit the parents!) and have been really lucky so far in that I always seem to get the beats to myself and it is idyllic, get away from it all stuff with Gin clear water and beautiful fish.  It is a different type of fishing with as much (if not more) watching and stalking than actual casting and some of the rules (e.g. upstream dry only until July, upstream dry and "traditional" nymph only therafter, no wading etc) can seem a bit stuffy but they're their rivers and their rules...you soon get used to it. Some beats are a lot more relaxed than others too.  I also think that there is a lot of rubbish written about how to fish Chalkstreams which scares people off thinking that they have to be some sort of super-human with Jedi instincts to dare to chuck a fly on the water.  Any reasonably experienced fisherman will have a great time and catch fish.  Any novice will soon become a good fisherman.  Trout are Trout whatever river they're in afterall, they don't know how much you are paying to catch them!

The Grayling fishing in the winter is superb too and very cheap.

I've got my first visit booked for the 2nd of May and am already counting the days.

Cheers,

Ewan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com